Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one trim the weeds that grow in the cracks in drive ways and side walks. is it worth the extra time? or should this be a extra service?
thanks alex
don't mind my spelling

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It depends. If it is a sidewalk,driveway that gets very little weeds then yes.

If it is a sidewalk,driveway that has lots of cracks for weeds then no. You can spend a lot of time on some of those old driveways. I tell them to spray a Roundup type product in the cracks.

Only quote I gave was for $25 for a very badly cracked driveway that would take 30 minutes to get rid of the weeds. This is dangerous work on those old cracked driveways with broken concrete and rocks flying at your face using a trimmer.

They didn't take me up on my price and they never have sprayed Roundup yet this year.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Usually, if there are a few weeds growing up in cracks, I will hit them qucik with a trimmer, but only a few. For example, I spent probably 10-15 minutes trimming weeds from cracks at an apartment building a couple days ago, and it was billed as "weed controll".

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
procut said:
Usually, if there are a few weeds growing up in cracks, I will hit them qucik with a trimmer, but only a few. For example, I spent probably 10-15 minutes trimming weeds from cracks at an apartment building a couple days ago, and it was billed as "weed controll".
Often times the extra stuff is ONE way to make money on commericial but charging to trim grass out of cracks is a stretch. Most residential won't stand for the charge either!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just buy a $15 thing of roundup concentrate, put it in your handheld or backpack sprayer and spray all the weeds in the cracks on each driveway. Do this once or twice a season and the customers will see you appreciate their business and you will be rewarded with a happy customer.

-Mark Wood

·
Registered
18 Posts
It depends alot on how much money you're making on the yard. If it's a good paying yard, don't charge more, make it look better than the rest of the yards on the street. If the money isn't that good, charge for spraying weeds to make some money. If the customer doesn't want to pay it, fine, just don't spend alot of time there. Time is money, anything that takes ALOT of extra time has to be charged for, or you end up losing your rear over time.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
If the client pays for weed control in the beds then we take care of the crack weeds each time we spray the beds.

If they don't, then they get wacked down every couple of months.

It is more often than they would do it so most are happy.
If they complain then the get re-offered the weed control package. Politely saying pay up or shut up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It is against the law (may vary state to state) for anyone charging money to spray Roundup or any other pesticide unless they have an applicators license. Usually no big deal to get a license, but the catch is you also have to have liability insurance ($1,000,000 worth in Oklahoma). The fine here is $500.00 and the State Dept of Agr. is on patrol. I think they are usually keeping an eye on the licensed applicators but they can get you.

I weedeat all weeds and grass in all sidewalk, curb, and driveway cracks on every property every time. If you keep up with it, it should not take any extra time. Of course there may be some really out of control yards with old cracked sidewalks and it may not be practical to keep them really clean. May also take some extra time on a new account that has not been kept up. Sometimes I work on those a little at a time until they are under control.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.