Does anybody use a salesman?

G. Ramey

LawnSite Senior Member
I have been thinking of hireing a salesman. He called and asked if he could cut for me this year partime. He lost his job with a computer company. He has worked for me a few times before running a trimmer and blower, however I am thinking maybe I should hire him to do what comes natural for him, let him sale. I think he could visit potential clients and help with advertising. He was a blessing to the computer company he worked for. He is very personable and can sale anything. I,m thinking he could put in 10-20 hours a week soliciting new clients. Maybe i'll get lucky and it will pay off. Have any of you used a salesman before and did it pay off for you?

FourTrees

LawnSite Senior Member
Seriously good idea. I have friends who do selling for a living and they can sell anything. I would offer him the sales up front then hire him to help when lands you a bunch.

Some people just have a special talent for it.

EagleLandscape

LawnSite Platinum Member
yes. I hired my first one last week. The person starts on monday. This will free up a ton of my time, and enable me to fine tune our operations and become more proactive with everything we are doing

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
don't have a salesman as of yet but i do hope to have the need to hire someone to do all the estimating for me so i can remain in the field.

i know to some that might be backwards but i'd rather be out cutting the grass myself than riding around giving estimates all day and sitting in the office doing "paper" work.

ACA L&L

LawnSite Bronze Member
I agree, i can sell anything, which is why we have been able to grow so much. Knowing the numbers as i speak with someone makes it an easy sale. I would really consider hiring him on a trial basis and see what pans out. do a month or 2. I gurantee ones he nails his pitch u will be very busy!

EagleLandscape

LawnSite Platinum Member
don't have a salesman as of yet but i do hope to have the need to hire someone to do all the estimating for me so i can remain in the field.

i know to some that might be backwards but i'd rather be out cutting the grass myself than riding around giving estimates all day and sitting in the office doing "paper" work.

Don't do it.

Why do you think you have the customers you currently have? Because they like the way your mow grass, or because you are a personable individual? Get out of the field as quickly as you can. Work on your business, rather than in it.

Anyone can mow grass, not alot of people can properly sell and deliver customer service.

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
Don't do it.

Why do you think you have the customers you currently have? Because they like the way your mow grass, or because you are a personable individual? Get out of the field as quickly as you can. Work on your business, rather than in it.

Anyone can mow grass, not alot of people can properly sell and deliver customer service.

i do agree with you on that point..........

i never said i would hire any old person. and maybe the business won't go in that direction anyway.

right now it doesn't look like i'll take it in that direction. it looks like i'm leaning towards just a 2 man operation with maybe a secretary to handle phone calls and doing the invoicing and what not.

my passion lies in actually doing the work. i realize some day i will be at that age where i won't physcially be able to do the labor and then i will go around giving estimates and sitting in the office doing paper work.

right now though, i still feel if i got the chance to hire someone to do the estimates and the business end of the business i would hire them in the a second.

many people asking me why i just didn't work for an existing company since i don't have a huge desire to actually RUN a business. my answer is in running my own business i can do the work i want to do and leave the work i don't want to do for someone else.

MikeKle

LawnSite Platinum Member
This is a great idea, Ive never thought about using a salesman to gain new accounts, I would think they be good at getting commercial accounts, but residentials might be tougher?

How would you pay a salesman anyway, hourly, or a % of the accounts they bring in for you? And what would you do if they bring in more than you expected in the first 6 months, let them go because they are doing their job well???? I guess you must be ready for whatever they bring in though?

Im sure there is sales companies that will sell for you, and you pay for each account gained, then you can stop using them once you have the amount you are were looking to gain?

Top Forums