Does anyone else generally dislike people?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mowin_n_tokin, Jul 17, 2019.

1. mowin_n_tokin

mowin_n_tokin LawnSite Member

May seem counter intuitive for a customer service based business, but some days I just hate people and having to interact with them lol. Not saying that all people are bad obviously but the ones that are really ruin the overall experience. Hands down my favorite clients are ones who have automatic payments setup and all I have to do is show up, do the work then leave- no late payments, no coming out wanting extra work for free etc.

I've had people who hand me the payment as a wad of cash then I depart only to later find out they shorted me $60 out of the $180 owed. Or another customer who every visit would reduce their payment by $5. First time I mowed them it was $40, then the 2nd time they gave me a check in an envelope and I later realized they only paid me $35, then the next visit they handed me wad of cash that was only $30 (which I learned to count in front of them) and I called him out on it and he just plays stupid like "oh I thought I've only been paying $30 for a mow.

There are so many scum bags out there and it just pisses me off how they try to underhand people that go out of their way to service them. I feel like lawncare in general is looked down upon where people think they can barter down the prices or skip out on payments for months at a time. This alone has made me consider trying different business ventures that are more respected. Anyone else get this?

2. crankincraig

crankincraig LawnSite Senior Member

Without going into too much detail........ I do like my dogs more than most people.

Times have changed and so has a good percentage of the population to go along with it.
    It's not Mayberry anymore

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

People are great...as long as I don't have to interact with them.

4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

There is a reason I enjoy working with plants all day. I've sat behind a counter or at a desk on the phone doing customer service, this ain't it.

I've noticed a customer's appreciation for service providers generally scales with their appreciation for a nice landscape.

5. weeze

weeze Banned

some people are weird. some are ok. everyone is weird in one way or another. it's just the way people are. if they try to take advantage of you then just drop them and don't look back. don't work for crooks. work for people that respect you and the services you offer. you don't have to be best friends in order to work for them but they need to treat you with respect and not short change you.

Mattmowsgrass, Cam15, Doc8406 and 9 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    mowin_n_tokin

mowin_n_tokin LawnSite Member

I've a couple old customers who I'm on close terms with, we chat for a bit, they give me lunch and drink etc, but for the most part I've started to become strictly professional with new customers.

No buddy buddy ****, no giving deals just to be nice, no free work.. I try to keep it cut and dry, be as detailed and specified with the bids as possible and when they ask if I can also do X I say sure, for X dollars I can do that. I'm trying to kick that nice guy mentality and not be such a god damn push over like I've been in the past.

I'm almost 2 years in so I've learned a lot but I've got a ways to go as well. I've dropped quite a few customers this year cause I was tired of dealing with their crap and I've learned that no matter what more customers will come my way eventually anyways.

It's gotten to the point where I dread answering the phone sometimes and just let it go to voicemail. If they don't leave a message then I guess it wasn't that important to begin with. It gets annoying after a while getting calls to bid a property, taking an hour out of my time and a gallon or two of gas just to tell me "$60 to mow my giant overgrown yard once?? I might as well buy a new mower at that price" Ok lady whatever you say, cya

7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I can't stand most people. Mostly I hate the people with unrealistic expectations. I had a guy sign up for fertilizer service. He had not treated his lawn in years, it was a weedy mess. I laid out a plan for a full year of treatments in his proposal. He agreed to the plan.

A day after his first application, he called and bitched me out because he still has weeds in his lawn. Jackass.

8. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

When people see you, do they wet their plants?

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Lawn care isn't the only service industry they are trying to get over on. They try it with everyone they think they can get away with short paying.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

If people think this industry is bad, imagine being a clerk in a clothing store where people try on stuff and then throw it down on the floor or worse.

hort101, Doc8406, DXN1EL and 2 others like this.