1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know the answer to this problem.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vader, Apr 19, 2000.

1. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

If An engine has a remote oil filter like an auto, can't we assume it is a pressurized system?

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree that mowing steep slopes should be avoided, due to potential oil starvation. I think if the problem persists you should take it to a dealer to check.<p>I just think the majority of commercial mowers now have pressurized lubrication systems. That was not meant to challenge you Lonestar, I completely agree that operating at extreme angles can cause problems. <p>

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

More than likely it is pressurized with a remote oil filter....I agree with you Keith, but some older ones may not and some non-big name engines may not...but for the Kawa I believe that it is pressurized, but fot the others I'm not sure...just trying the answer the question in general ...not specific.<br>

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Pressurized oil system or not, sometimes when operating off-camber the oil will get into the cylinder, either up thru the cylinder via the sump past the rod and rings or into the head and flooding the valves thru the oil return holes.<p>First, be sure the oil level is correct, not overfilled. If level is normal, Id suggest using a 2-cycle hand mower on this slope since dumping oil in the cylinder will 1) most likely oil starve the rest of the engine and 2) really carbon up the head and valves.<p>In any case its not good to let the engine do this regularly.<p>Bill

5. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

hello you have a tad to much oil asuming every thing else is all right. run the kawa 14with oil level halway on hash marks.on that engine you have to clean the dip stick 10 times are more to get a good reading on oil pecouse it collects in the fill tube .When mine was new i did the same thing as you on a steep hill WHITE smoke every where addjusting the leval down fixed this for me.

6. OP
    OP
    vader

vader LawnSite Member
    from MS

Thanks Lawnguy and Lawnworker. Lawnworker, I think the level is a little above the dipstick line. I will siphon a little oil out and see if this works. I love this site because you CAN find people who are willing to lend a hand and give knowledge to people who are not as experienced as I am. <p>Go Ole Miss REBS!!! Deuce for Heisman!