Lawn Care Forum banner

does anyone lease their trucks?

9K views 91 replies 21 participants last post by  Waterlogged 
#1 ·
I was thinking of leasing a new truck but I have never done so before. It would be a pickup that I would mostly drive on weekends and after work or maybe estimates. I would use my service body truck for most of my work.

This is the truck I want but it would be white.
what do you think.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

See less See more
#2 ·
Not me. My three main work trucks I bought used. My 2005 Nissan Titan I bought now and am not leasing. I put way too many miles on it per year for a lease - about 20-25k a year. And if it's a work truck it will get scratched, dinged, banged up. I originally said I would not use this nice truck for work. Well, you know what happens, and yes it gets used for work.

I've also never fully understood the logic in leasing, as I'm not an accounting nerd.

#5 ·
2 year old low mileage trucks are a far better value. You will still get a new car hit with a lease and they will nickle and dime everything in the end of the lease.

Leasing trenchers and equipment might be a better deal I've been told.

I leased one car in my life and that was my daughters VW in HS. I knew the mileage would be less than 5,000 a year and it got her a status symbol.

#6 ·
yeah... I'd stay away from leasing... the only one who is coming ahead out in that deal is the leasing company.

We did a Commercial Trac Lease with GMAC on a truck many years back and it sucked. There was no damage or mileage charges but when it was all over and I had bought the truck they wouldn't give me the title because they claimed that there was an outstanding recall notice on it for tailgate straps. The kicker was that we had a flatbed put on it right before the lease ended so I fought with them for a month trying to convince them that there was nothing to take to the dealer and fix. A strongly worded letter with the threat of legal action finally spurred them along in sending the title to me.

I think Fimco is right... there are a TON of very clean low mileage one or two year old fully loaded trucks out there for really really low prices right now. If it's not going to be a daily driver that you're going to put a zillion miles on and beat up then a clean used truck may be the way to go!

#7 ·
while we are on the topic:
i've been searching the used truck market. I'd like to upgrade from my F-150 6cyl to a 4x4 that can handle farm and ranch life. Even used give me sticker shock but the market seems to be flooded with 4 door trucks. I'm sure that is part of the economy contracting but are 4 doors proving to be overrated? If you are needing 4 doors it seems going SUV and having a trailer when a bed is needed strikes me as smarter. 4 door trucks/w beds are friggin long as sh$t.

Anybody researching Toyota for trucks while they are getting hammered? I've never even considered foreign trucks but I'm wondering if a buyer's market is developing.

Can a 4x4 RANGER tow worth a sh$t? Any preference on the smaller pickups? Any smaller trucks worth exploring? Frontier gets good reviews but the body annoys me.
Tacoma? No GMs. I'm boycotting govt. motors.

I have a topper and bedslide I'd like to transfer but that limits me to standard beds on full size trucks. every time I do this search I end up appreciating what I have but it gets killed when I tow and is lousy in snow, ice, and mud.

#8 ·
i've been searching the used truck market. I'd like to upgrade from my F-150 6cyl to a 4x4 that can handle farm and ranch life. Even used give me sticker shock but the market seems to be flooded with 4 door trucks. I'm sure that is part of the economy contracting but are 4 doors proving to be overrated? If you are needing 4 doors it seems going SUV and having a trailer when a bed is needed strikes me as smarter. 4 door trucks/w beds are friggin long as sh$t.

Anybody researching Toyota for trucks while they are getting hammered? I've never even considered foreign trucks but I'm wondering if a buyer's market is developing.

Can a 4x4 RANGER tow worth a sh$t? Any preference on the smaller pickups? Any smaller trucks worth exploring? Frontier gets good reviews but the body annoys me.
Tacoma? No GMs. I'm boycotting govt. motors.

I have a topper and bedslide I'd like to transfer but that limits me to standard beds on full size trucks. every time I do this search I end up appreciating what I have but it gets killed when I tow and is lousy in snow, ice, and mud.
I've never enjoyed a truck as much as I do my Nissan Titan 4 door Crew Cab. The bed is a short bed, so it keeps the overall length down. I have plenty of room to keep, clothes, laptop computer, backpacks, etc, accessible in the cab and keep it dry.

I used to have an '84 extended cab Toyota and an '87 regular cab Toyota Tacoma. Along with a '96 GMC 1500 extended cab. I will never own a truck again without the full 4 door crew cab It's also very easy o just recline the seat and take a nap.

Even the Toyota 4 cylinders, I would tow a 185 compressor. Probably not the safest thing to do, but I was young and stupid. I was also careful.

#10 ·
Well I test drove a 4 door Tacoma, the 07, 4wd 53,000 miles they wanted 24,000 which was way too high but I wanted to see how it drove. The Afrikaner that was my sales rep was a nice guy but didn't know squat about his vehicles. Tried to tell me the Tacoma was not part of the recall. So I pull out my IPhone Google and show him it's been recalled. Anyway we get on the freeway and the fuel gauge is on E. I tell him and he says don't worry its got 25 miles. Well we run out of gas on 75 and had to pull over on the freeway and sat there for 40 minutes waiting for Muslim looking guy to pick us up.
I told him to e-mail me a CARFAX report and a damn good price or don't waste anymore of my time.

I did like the 4 door aspect. The Tocoma was a helluva a lot better ride than my F-150. Wouldn't have a problem owning one.

#13 ·
Well I test drove a 4 door Tacoma, the 07, 4wd 53,000 miles they wanted 24,000 which was way too high but I wanted to see how it drove. The Afrikaner that was my sales rep was a nice guy but didn't know squat about his vehicles. Tried to tell me the Tacoma was not part of the recall. So I pull out my IPhone Google and show him it's been recalled. Anyway we get on the freeway and the fuel gauge is on E. I tell him and he says don't worry its got 25 miles. Well we run out of gas on 75 and had to pull over on the freeway and sat there for 40 minutes waiting for Muslim looking guy to pick us up.
I told him to e-mail me a CARFAX report and a damn good price or don't waste anymore of my time.

I did like the 4 door aspect. The Tocoma was a helluva a lot better ride than my F-150. Wouldn't have a problem owning one.
You sound almost prejudice, but I can't believe they were asking so much for that truck.
I would be pissed after that...were you in Texas?

#15 ·
You sound almost prejudice, but I can't believe they were asking so much for that truck.
I would be pissed after that...were you in Texas?
I'm not prejudice. His first name was Bayo. He had that broken AfriKaner accent. The kid who picked us up was a muslim. Yes I was in TX Richardson Toyota. cars.com has it on their site. use the 75081 zip code for a search.

#18 ·
Not me. My three main work trucks I bought used. My 2005 Nissan Titan I bought now and am not leasing. I put way too many miles on it per year for a lease - about 20-25k a year. And if it's a work truck it will get scratched, dinged, banged up. I originally said I would not use this nice truck for work. Well, you know what happens, and yes it gets used for work.

I've also never fully understood the logic in leasing, as I'm not an accounting nerd.
I have an 06 Titan I got a sweet deal on for 13,000 dollars with only 38,000 miles, a end of the month deal I could not refuse. At first I was using it in the business but felt like I was tearing it up and bought an 91 gmc Sierra for the dings and scratches, in my opinion I would not lease, one day you might fall in love with whatever you get.
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
Anybody researching Toyota for trucks while they are getting hammered? I've never even considered foreign trucks but I'm wondering if a buyer's market is developing. Can a 4x4 RANGER tow worth a sh$t? Any preference on the smaller pickups? Any smaller trucks worth exploring? Frontier gets good reviews but the body annoys me. Tacoma? No GMs. I'm boycotting govt. motors. I have a topper and bedslide I'd like to transfer but that limits me to standard beds on full size trucks. every time I do this search I end up appreciating what I have but it gets killed when I tow and is lousy in snow, ice, and mud.
I have owned two tacomas and I loved them. The last one I had was a 2005 TRD off road and it can tow 6800 lbs. I used to tow my maxi sneaker with it no problem. Also the TRD has a great 4x4 system with a locking rear and a powerfull v6 close to 250 I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

#26 ·
My GMC half ton was a money pit. My girlfriend's Ford Explorer was a money pit. Her new Ford Escape we just had to put $750 into and it's a 2008 that Ford would not warranty for a leaking tranny cooler problem. My '97 Ford 150 has been had plenty of problems.

My Mississippi built Nissan Titan has run like a champ. My two Toyotas were phenomenal with only routine maintenance, and one fuel pump. I will NEVER buy another American Big 3 vehicle again for my personal vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.