1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Does anyone sub-contract weed/pest control?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brian_RPLC, Jul 11, 2002.

  1. Brian_RPLC

    Brian_RPLC LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

    I live in Michigan where getting an applicators license requires schooling or on the job training. I currently do offer fertilizer application and would like to offer weed/pest control also. Does anyone sub-contract another company to do weed control for them?

  2. TheGrassGuy

    TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member
    Messages: 103

    I am a certified applicator but sub out 90% of the chemical applications - I'll do a little Roundup. I really don't want to be handling pesticides - nor do I want to carry the insurance. Works good for me - add my profit to the contactor's cost. I handle the lime and fertilizer applications.
  3. Dennis E.

    Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 349

    I sub it all out.
    No desire to handle the different chemicals. Friend of mine got started with Chem Lawn and had to quit after about 3 months. He could not tolerate the exposure.
    The wife does not want me doing apps either.
  4. AL Inc

    AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,209

    I sub almost all my chemical work to a local company, and take care of a few myself. I also handle the year-end lime and fertilizer applications. I've been licensed for 6 years but with the new 48 hour notification laws, there is just too much BS and paperwork for a small operation like me. It has actually worked pretty well using the sub and the lawns look better. If there are any callbacks or complaints, the sub takes care of it. One less headache for me.
  5. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    I am currently working on obtaining my business licence for chemical. I have categories 3a, 3b, and 6 certifications, however, I am required to work under someone for two years before I am able to obtain my own licence. So, here is what I do. The friend who got me started in fertilization, and has taught me much. He has a Bachelor degree in Turf Management, and was previously a superintendent and assistant superintendent at a MAJOR P.G.A. TOUR golf course. Here is what he is doing for me. I do all my own fertilization. I am also employed by his company as a part time technician. When it comes time for my jobs to be sprayed, I contract his company to spray them for me, and I,- just happen to be working for him while this takes place. By the end of next season, I'll be qualified to obtain my business license, and I can do it on my own without having to have another licensed tech. (That's another option, is if you can find someone else who holds an actual license, not just a certification.) Now, I know this is a rarety, to have someone like this, but it's working for this situation.
  6. gogetter

    gogetter Banned
    Messages: 3,256

    Runner that's a sweet little loop hole you have there. Lucky to have a fellow LCO help you out like that. That's great.

    I can't believe how much you guys have to go through to get your license there.

    I better hurry and get mine before PA gets any ideas about changing thier regulations!.

Share This Page