• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Does Compost Tea Really Work?

JDUtah

LawnSite Silver Member
I have not gone as far as to get a microscope. But I brewed my own through the summer last year with no results compared to the control plot. The year before I tried Bills' 123 ICT with the same.

I am not a believer in CT, but you knew that.

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
I have not gone as far as to get a microscope. But I brewed my own through the summer last year with no results compared to the control plot. The year before I tried Bills' 123 ICT with the same.

Did you do a test plot using regular compost?

NattyLawn

LawnSite Bronze Member

And that was with your homemade brewer right? If so I can see why (should have bookmarked that thread). So you dont' have a scope. Do you have a DO meter? Was your compost tested? Brewing time? Foods? Application rate? Dilution ratio? Were any other materials added with the tea (humates, kelp, fish hydrolysate). Did you apply a fertilizer with the tea and view the results.

And you already have sandy soil, so I would guess you would want the compost anyway. Is CT the best possible solution for your soils? That might be the better question. So instead of saying CT doesn't work, maybe you should just say it doesn't work for you.

Do I think CT works? Yes. But it's more than dumping compost in a bucket and adding water and air. You have to have a good brewer, good compost, a DO meter and microscope are preferred. In the blog, hopefully the Seattle Zoo is just not spraying tea as a fungicide (and I hope they're working with KIS). Are they still spraying foliars? What's they're watering schedule like? Too many variables that we don't know about that can lead to failure and they will say CT doesn't work as well.

And I will also note that while I believe CT works it's not a silver bullet and only another tool in the toolbox.

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
Oh yes. And that is why regular compost is in my program. :)
What!?!?
No microscope?... No OMRI approval?... No Gov't Grant?... Journal entries with Peer review???

Are you saying that you relied on your own proffessional judagement, of , good, better, best, to make a Decision?!?!
You are a Radical...
... Dude... :)

NattyLawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
What!?!?
No microscope?... No OMRI approval?... No Gov't Grant?... Journal entries with Peer review???

Are you saying that you relied on your own proffessional judagement, of , good, better, best, to make a Decision?!?!
You are a Radical...
... Dude... :)
Hey Axe. How much tea have you brewed? No need to answer because we already know it's zero. There are quite a few variables to making good tea. When people like JD, Cornell U. and others make statements without disclosing certain information should that professional judgement be taken as fact? I know you like "discussion" rather than doing things correctly, but one guy in Utah using a cheesy brewer with air stones is why there should be standards.

Barefoot James

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah Natty,

I remember that sprayer JD posted last year we all thought it was a joke and then found out he was serious. tree about lost it:laugh: That was one of the funniest things I had ever seen. So JD what does the brewer look like? :laugh:

How many apps of ICT did you use? Any soil tests before and after? Funny that I have over 100 compost tea client and started with about 20 - got test results and testimonials that prove that yes it works - but like Natty says only another tool in the tool box.

JDUtah

LawnSite Silver Member
Barefoot, If you didn't notice... Tree USED my idea to make a brewer/sprayer of her own. Of course you would not be sharp enough to catch the value of my concept like Tree did.

BTW, I nerfed that brewer per Tree's recomendations. Brewed and tested a plot with it.

Also, A local Nursery DOES do the "professional", DO tested, visually tested brew, and I tested a plot with thier stuff.

Third... Bill's 123 ICT on a seperate plot.

Fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh... various meals/compost on other plots.

Compost was my winner. Sorry guys. I just don't believe in CT... regardless of how "correct" it is.

BTW, you got that wrong... most Utah soils are loamy clay, not sand.

Hey you two, I have a question for you... would you apply the digestate from a Methane Digester like Tim suggested, to plants.. like grass?

I know Small Axe... I'm just so out there... thinking on my own...

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey Axe. How much tea have you brewed? No need to answer because we already know it's zero. There are quite a few variables to making good tea. When people like JD, Cornell U. and others make statements without disclosing certain information should that professional judgement be taken as fact? I know you like "discussion" rather than doing things correctly, but one guy in Utah using a cheesy brewer with air stones is why there should be standards.
He tried it, didn't like it, uses real compost instead, he likes it , get over it.

You use it, you like it, continue to reapply it, and reapply it and reapply it, good for you.

I use real compost... is that ok for you? R U better than me, because I use real compost? and don't find it necessary to use Tea?

The main reason I never got that excited about Tea was because, when I asked key questions I could never get a straight answer. I do have a brewer and a "professional Mix" BTW.