Does everyone use workers comp?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Collin, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Collin

    Collin LawnSite Member
    Messages: 37

    I am a one man operation pt. I am bringing one man also on pt should I get workers comp? I am doing alot of commercial prop.

    CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,526

    absolutly. its a percentage of what you pay him. whether doing commercial or residental you should have it
  3. Gatewayuser

    Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,765

    Yes if you have anyone working with you HAVE TO BY LAW and a lot of commercial props make you have it also. Good luck this year!:waving:
  4. sildoc

    sildoc LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,925

    Like said above most commercial props require it. If your worker gets hurt you are liable for all medical costs. It is just not worth not having it.
  5. lawn_pro

    lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 284

    yes, you should have workmans comp-for two part(?) time employees..
  6. drsogr

    drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,275

    Its not required in all states by law. In kansas you can have up to 20,000 in payroll without paying workmans comp. The cheapest I have been able to find it in kansas is $800. This makes it pretty hard to justify needing it.
  7. Collin

    Collin LawnSite Member
    Messages: 37

    Where have you found the besst and cheapest?
  8. YardPro

    YardPro LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,570

    in NC wrokman's comp is only required if you have three or more FULL TIME EMPLOYEES....

    i do suggest carrying it, as it will reduce your liability if someone gets hurt.
  9. Collin

    Collin LawnSite Member
    Messages: 37

    Thanks for all of your help.
  10. little green guy

    little green guy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 955

    you'r not going to find the "best" or "cheapest" because it's all based off a percentage of your payroll. The way it works, at least in New Jersey is your agent will put you in for comp and a carrier will be assigned to you by the state.
    There are different rates for different catagories such as landscape, lawn
    miant, snow plowing ect... then at the end of you coverage year they will audit you and if you are over your estimated payroll for the year they bill you for the extra.

Share This Page