1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Here is something interesting to me that I found on the Mobil website. It appears to me that the answer side-steps the question. I would think a company of this magnitude could have at least given a "rehearsed" answer.
What does everyone else think?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mobil1_vs_Amsoil_Long_Drains.aspx
Your fishing, if Mobil one is good enough for Mercedes it's good enough for me. Our local speed shop stopped using Amsoil after seeing numerous oil related eng failures on racing sled engines. For aircooled 2 cycle Redline has a better oil IMO . Better protection at high RPM and less coking.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Amsoil buys the majority of their basestock from Mobil! Why would Mobil try to bad mouth one of their biggest customer?

Maybe you should learn a little more of the product you are selling and then you would know why they tiptoe around the question!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah like saw man says Amsoil buys it basestock from mobil so do alot other companies. the only difference is the additive packages. I may of never tried amsoil but i've been running mobil products for years especially when they had mobil 2t for two strokes i don't think no other companie's oil can perform as good as that product did at that cost and keep any engine that clean. They most have a good basestock formula too if amsoil is buying it. hmm which one to buy and which is easier to obtain

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
When Mobil 1 first came out, Mobil ran it in their vehicle fleet. They NEVER changed the oil. They changed the filters periodically, but not the oil. They typically changed out vehicles at 100K-130K miles.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

I no longer run a pure synthetic oil in my vehicles. I got tired of leaks.

I don't like Amsoil because I don't like having to chase somebody down to buy oil out of the trunk of their car. It just seems kind of shady...

I've been using Valvoline synthetic blend. My Tahoe now has 356K miles, runs well, uses little oil. What more do you need?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Their first line was, "We certainly can't speak for Amsoil".

I like it when a company talks about the benefits of their product instead of bashing another's. It shows maturity and professionalism. Making yourself look good by just knocking down someone else ....:nono:

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
Mobil may or may not have intentionally dodged the question. Like others here have said, it shows class to not bash a competitors product.

I just picked up a $2200 a year job. Before I bid on it I walked it with the homeowner. As we were looking at the beds and stuff I noticed a lot of grass clippings that the then current guy was throwing in them everytime he would cut the grass. I didn't say a word about them to the homeowner. BTW, the previous guy was only getting $1200 a year for the same, exact job.

Please just stick to what works. Promoting an excellant product.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Extend oil intervals save money plain, and simple no fancy formulas to calculate. I have over 54,556 miles on my Cummins diesels oil, using AMSIOIL's AME 15w-40 HD diesel & marine 12 TBN oil, dual by-pass oil filtration system with Oil Analyzers monitoring my oil samples at 20,000 mile intervals. Right now the new Dual By-pass oil filtration systems are running $365.00 retail, plus your AMSOIL oil synthetic lubricant cost; which varies depending on oil choice. Total cost might run $500.00 with 2hrs of Labor for installation of system, and from that point you pay $26.00 every 20,000 miles for Oil analysis the AMSOIL EaBP bypass filter is efficient down to 1 Micron. I have yet to have to change a EaBP filter, oil analysis would tell me if a filter was dirty or ready to change. Most dual by-pass filter systems only require checking you oil level, adding oil if ever necessary, taking, and monitoring oil analysis, and taking the reccomended corrective action Oil Analyzer reports on test; which is have been nothing for me with over 54,556 miles on oil.

Regarding Mobil one oil statement, Mobile one is not going to perform a side buy side test against Amsoil would be suicide for Mobile one. Don't take my word or anyone else's for that matter? I'm a AMSOIL certified T-1 dealer "right". Go to Bob Is The Oil Guy forum, or ready Chemical & Engineering News articles regarding Amsoil or Mobile one Synthetic Lubricant.
I cannot speak for those who have used AMSOIL Synthetic lubricants, and then have had some type of catastrophic engine failure, those cases may, and do happen; especially in a race application. I would think a post engine failure oil analysis would be the gold standard to determine what, and if the Engine lubricant caused the failure.

When an human being or animal dies we don't speculate what the cause of death was? an autopsy is performed before a conclusion is drawn. Engine lubricant/coolent component sampling is not new technology Government, Military, NASA, Commercial fleet vehicles, heavy equipment owners have all been performing oil analysis sampling for years. With the growing price of petroluem products I suspect the trend will only grow.

AMSOIL meets, and or exceeds all API,SAE, standards; further more you will only pay more for the "Mobile one" name as price icreases to distributors who sell the oil is at a record 28% increase in cost.:laugh:

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He'll be back to respond. Not everybody surfs Lawnsite when they could be out doing other things on Saturday.
Trust me, I have been watching this thread as I do all my others. Honestly, this thread went about the way I expected. Seems to be more negative than positive. I simply put up some info from Amsoil's leading competition, from Mobil's website nonetheless, and asked for opinions. A few seem to agree with me to a certain extent, some don't and that is fine. Everyone has their own opinion and has every right to express it. I thought this may stimulate some thinking for yourselves about the comparison of the two and encourage questions or to provoke some investigation on your part. I think that most of you do your homework on items you may purchase in the future and most of this research is done on that thing on your desk that you use to communicate on this site with. I can give you all the information in the world regarding Amsoil, but lets face it, alot of you are going to do your own reseach before you decide to purchase from me. I will continue to find and post information from other brands or other websites that I feel may encourage a little thought and research. If you determine on your own, Amsoil is a better choice than other brands, it solidifies your opinion even more than me just showing and telling you it is.

The "best" way to show or tell you about Amsoil products it to let you try them. I just simply can't give away oil to everyone, (even though I have given away alot) therefore, I need other avenues to "promote & advertise".

Hope this all makes some sense to all of you.:dizzy: It may seem odd, but as I have always said, I am a very honest person and I truely believe in "other types" of ways of reaching out to you.:waving:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.