• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Does more power = more mulching ability

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Senior Member
Just a question that’s been on my mind. Say you had a 21” mower, with 15 hp, could tall grass be mulched well? Does power directly translate into mulching ability? I know a 15hp 21” is stupid but just for discussion.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Just a question that’s been on my mind. Say you had a 21” mower, with 15 hp, could tall grass be mulched well? Does power directly translate into mulching ability? I know a 15hp 21” is stupid but just for discussion.
Yes, to a degree. At a certain point a deck can only process so much material. More hp, means more torque. So the blades will not slow down as easily as it is slicing through grass.

DLL LLC

LawnSite Member
Keep in mind that the CC's of a motor is what matters the most in regards to blade spinning. And the faster it spins, yes, the better the mulching. You will find several models with all the same horsepower, its the CC you want high. 190cc at a minimum for excellent mulching. Most your Honda mowers will be that (except the home owner level 1 or 2)

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Senior Member
Alright, so a mower with a 5.0 mustang engine can’t make 1’ tall grass disappear. A more reasonable question would be, would an excess of power mulch the grass finely on a every other week lawn? I have the hrx217 and it mulches grass “good enough” for the every other week “type” customer. But the engine slows considerably. Again, just for discussion sake, how would it do with the engine that comes on the Ferris FW15? That engine is around 380cc. If the blades never slow much could a 2week growth be finely chopped?

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
A general eow lawn for me is going to be around 5-6” and cut at 2.5-3”.
Couple things.
I would not mulch in the first place, side discharge only.
Plus eow if they are too cheap to get weekly cuts than absolutely they get 1 pass side discharge. No dbl cuts.
But yes, more hp would help to not bog down blade. Problem would still be, deck would plug solid and eventually you'd be chopping mush and leaving mush balls all over lawn.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Senior Member
I’m preparing to have “the talk” with eow clients who complain. I’m just a curious guy and wonder what the limits are of things.

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
We mulch everything even eow cuts (which can be a pain) with the exception of first of the year cut low and bag (we have to use the small mowers but customers pay a premium for this). Well I blew my kawi 18hp equiv engine on my stander at 300hrs. Shop blames me for running it dry of oil. When it went down it had plenty oil and I check oil on all mowers before the mow crew goes out. Anyway I had it replaced with a 23hp equiv kawi. He diffence was immediately night and day. I've put 600 hrs on the 23. But as others stated trying to mulch 1ft grass isn't going to do well regardless. Keep blades sharp and deck scraped. Mulching is better for the lawn much better.