1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Does native hardwood mulch turn grey after a couple months?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Ready to Mow, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Silver Member

These are the people that don't like the dyed mulch, but I'm finding that after a couple months they flowerbeds that spend most of the time out in the sun is where all the mulch is faded out like an old grey fence.

Is it supposed to do that? Or do I need to buy my hardwood from somewhere else?

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to see your mulch to be more accurate. Sounds like pita customers that you seem to get. I feel for you

chrissyboy and GrassManKzoo like this.
  3. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't had any complaints, but I just think it would hold the brown color longer.

4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Your used to seeing it fresh like us all. Not sure about the gray part. Gotta be careful with the dyed stuff too. My mulch supplier has a disclaimer for dyed Mulch that they're not responsible if color is washed out from rain or irrigation.

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Yes, it's supposed to do that, its natural wood, no different than the fence; so it will turn gray.

This is why people dye the mulch in the first place.
    Natural wood isn't "brown" anyway, "blonde" is the description most used to talk about natural wood.

There's a spray you can use, it thibknits called renu, to freshen up the look of your mulch.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Yes what Ted/Ed said.^^^^^

7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Home Depot and lowes mulch will bleach out much quicker than more expensive mulchs. Do not chinch on quality. It will make you scatter brained. (J/k on that last sentence)

8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

a good, triple processed non-dyed hardwood mulch should hold it's color for a couple of months-you get what you pay for. The back at my place mulched about 4 weeks ago. I personally would never use a dyed product-even if requested, (which has never happened anyway.) That's just me, feel free to disagree.

DSCF3790.JPG

9. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Hemlock seems to be one of the best as far as holding it's color. Cedar will fade from mid brown to light brown but stay light brown & keep it's appearance pretty well. The natural mulches seem to be better for plants too.

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I do not believe this. You and I are both agreeing with him...