dog crap removal

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
No this is not another thread about dog crap all over the place. Well anyway, does anyone offer to pick up dog crap? As a weekly or how how ever as a service.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Oh my gosh, don't even consider doing this. Yuck.

I wouldn't want 'Manure hauler' written on the side of my trailer in my list of services.

Glenn Lawn Care

LawnSite Silver Member
Waste of time unless you are getting paid pretty good to do so.
Posted via Mobile Device

highlander316

LawnSite Senior Member
the costs are pretty low if you think about it. A bucket and a shovel. Can you just throw it in a dumpster or do you need a special permit? Is there any kind of business liability insurance for this work? You can drive around in a small Ranger or S-10 (I wouldn't use a van, the smell would be awful especially in the summer lol).

BradLewisLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
Just my 2 cents. I have done it and It worked awesome and also screwed up a customer relationship.

awesome - the lady pays me $20 to mow the 8 ft by 15 ft patch patch of grass and then another $20 to pick up after 2 dogs bi weekly. My guys are there for all of 15 minutes and bank $40. It's discounted because she bundled. They use plastic bags and throw it in her city owned trash can.

bad - a lady told me she had 2 dogs and ended up having 4. Her grass needed to be cut every week but she only wanted every other week. so I was charging $45 for the grass and the same $20 for 2 dogs bi weekly. The crap would hide between grass too high and we occasionally missed some spots. She was crazy upset that the piles weren't picked up. I explained if we missed a couple we will get them in two weeks so essentially the piles will all be picked up. Then when mowing ended she was pissed that we didn't keep picking up the crap and it became my fault that she had to pick up after her own dog. I told her we are not trying to be an excessive crap pickup company and that we did it because she wanted her grass cut and that we can keep going, but we never instructed to. She is the 10% of customers that cause 90% of problems. I told her to find another provider, but i think it was all over money. she couldn't afford it.

So in brief it can work, but you'd better set good standards and checks so that either the customer knows what tolerance levels to expect. I mean it could take a lot of time in a large lawn to find every turd.

OP
J

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
Most dogs are on s leash that goes only so far. I guess if they have invisable fencing it would have to be a.higher charge. As of now, I'm just throwing the idea around
Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

LawnSite Senior Member
I've thought of doing this but the downside was having to wear a respirator every time I would pick some of this stuff :laugh: