Dog Crap

ScaggyGrass

LawnSite Member
Just need a little procedure advice about... New customers and a yard full of winter dog crap.

Do you bring the subject up?
Do you clean the yard frst.. ie.. Spring cleaning charge.
Does it hurt your equipment?
Just tell me what you do, when you encounter a Dog(s) Customer.

ty
Bill

jsslawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Cut their grass (with your month closed). Wash everything with their water hose on the grass and move on. Or let them know that your work load is heavy right now and that you can not maintain their yard to the high standards that you would like and move on. I have one that feeds his 2 bull dogs carrots and yes I can see the carrots. He pays without any problems.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
You'll find a LOT of takes on this subject ranging from:

~ those who ignore it
~ to those who will purposely mow around it
~ to those who will charge MORE to just deal with its presence
~ to those who insist it be removed by the owner or a service
~ to those that offer the service to pick it up
~ to those who will fire the customer because of it
~ to those who are ornery enough to smear it somewhere

There will be more scenarios...but, you get the picture. :dizzy:

I'd say the size of the (fenced-in) yard plays a huge factor...as does how many dogs they have and how big the piles are.

Then there's the rogue pile from the rogue dog. I mean let's face it...a rogue pile is a rogue pile! :laugh:

Glenn Lawn Care

LawnSite Silver Member
I used to hate mowing yards with crap everywhere. Now I just run it over because I stop caring. I never pick it up unless they pay for it. And it the yard is full of it from the winter I will make sure they pick it up before I do a clean up... Never run into the problem tho.

dgw

LawnSite Bronze Member
Mow it up and move on, hazzard of the job!
Posted via Mobile Device
i have to agree with this, for the most part

if it a backyard i have to use a WB in, and its a whole winters worth then i would politely let the customer know i cant cut it until its cleaned

Moose's Mowing

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm planning to offer to clean up the yard prior to mowing. Hoping to "mandate it" for heavily saturated yards or I don't mow. Not trying to charge a ton of money for it, it's not a big deal to scoop it in a bucket and toss it in my field. I figure that I scoop about 10 gallons of sheet a week at my own house with all my dogs, I'm pretty much a pro. So what's a little more

zechstoker

LawnSite Senior Member
Dealing with pet waste & the customer: The first time I see it in someone's yard, I'll clean it up, and make note of how long it took to complete that task. This "first time" won't necessarily be charged to the customer. The next time I show up, and there's pet waste, I'll immediately contact the customer, and offer to pick it up at an additional cost. That cost is based on a hourly rate, which is determined by how long it took me to clean it up the first time. Some customers are willing to pay that extra amount if they really dread having to pick it up themselves, and I, personally, don't have a problem doing it as long as I'm getting paid to do it.

Reasoning behind offering pet waste removal: Nothing ruins a good yard quite like fecal land mines. If it goes neglected, and doesn't get picked up, it has a tendency to cause stress for the person doing the work (or at least it stresses me out anyway) while "dealing with it" and trying to work around it. This ends up resulting in my overall concern [for the job] rapidly declining. After a while, it becomes my "most dreadful" account because I know I'm going to end up with a bunch of crap caked to my boots and possibly pant legs, which will stay with me for the remainder of the day.

Please pardon my rant. I guess what I was getting at was that it seems better to offer to clean it up for an additional fee than to not do anything about it and deal with all the headaches and hassles that follow.