Dogwood Disease or Leaf Scorch?

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by JONATHAN CASEY, Jul 8, 2018.

1. JONATHAN CASEY

JONATHAN CASEY LawnSite Member

I have 3 dogwood trees on my property in the Boston area and all 3 of suffering from something. I looked at pictures and researched but I can’t determine if this is from a disease or just stress from the very very hot dry weather we have had for 2 weeks. I’ve attached pictures of each of the 3 trees leaves, one is considerably worse than the other 2.

Any help on ID of the problem would be very much appreciated! I don’t know if I should water them or apply some kind of fungicide.

Thanks in advance

F38A5A8D-5AE2-4200-A41A-B99F3011ADAD.jpeg

3D1E683E-CE67-4F19-A26A-6C5492C87350.jpeg

8416A8D4-43E7-47CD-A643-522069BDF8ED.jpeg

2. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

Those ain’t dog woods

americanlawn and RussellB like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JONATHAN CASEY

This is the full tree. I thought it was a round leaf dog wood. But I’m not an expert... it flowers with white flowers every spring

8CBDA513-4B16-4D71-9163-C27BE743D13F.jpeg

176311DD-5AFD-432E-9956-6188D8D21D42.jpeg

4. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Those are ornamental Pear trees. They are actually in the Rose family and are subject to getting disease.

I would fertilize them in the fall and do preventative fungicide applications when they begin to leave out. Typically three applications a month apart are needed. Sometimes more if it is a rainy summer.

You’re going to need to know what type of disease it is before you begin to spray so you know which fungicide to use.

americanlawn likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    JONATHAN CASEY

I think your right the pictures of the ornamental pear seem to match quite well. Now to try and figure out what’s wrong with it! Thanks for help with the tree ID.

70205642-D3BB-4732-8B75-A7121FD72CD2.jpeg

6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Maybe pear rust

TPendagast likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    JONATHAN CASEY

That was my first thought after researching but the black spots present on the picture in my second post don’t seem to align to anything I can find.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I was thinking it looked like cedar Apple rust but wasn’t an apple tree
    I’d go with pear rust as well

hort101 likes this.
  9. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Too late to do anything now for them. You will need to attack them in the spring.

10. OP
    OP
    JONATHAN CASEY

Thank you for the help it definitely is pear rust. And after doing some more reading I see that Junipers are the winter time host and I have a few junipers next to the worst offender so I have to figure out if they need to be transplanted or removed. Thanks for the help identifying, hopefully they make it!

cotyledon likes this.