Doing odd sidework for customer's. Do you stay away from stuff liek this or help?

soloscaperman

LawnSite Gold Member
Got a new well respected retired customer that does car interiors this year. Well I went to his house to give him a thank you card for doing service and he showed me his new project car. He said in a week he will need my help on and off for his 1934 Chevy Roadster convertible. So how do you guys charge? He is a little cheap and keeps saying it will only be 5 min to help remove parts on certain days. Mileage wont be an issue since I live under 10 mile from him. Should I just help him and if he pays me let him or should I call him and be like just give me $20 for gas? He does give me tips and recommends me to others and talks highly of me to his friends and family.

I know this is a stupid question but I have learn that if you do things for Free they expect more from you. Have any of you people helped customer's on the side doing weird projects? Talked to one of my LCO's friends and he says don't help because your business is based on customer's lawns not petty stuff like car work or painting etc.

Last edited:

nightshutter

LawnSite Senior Member
That is a weird request. I have never had one like that. I guess it depends on how good of a customer he is. From your post he seems like a pretty good one to keep around. Me personally I would do it. Just because I'm really into fixing up old cars and always like to learn how to do new things. Sounds like he might through you a few bucks or something to make it worth it.

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
I'd say if you have nothing else going on help him out just as you would help a friend. If he pays you, cool. If he asks how much he owes you just tell him you'd like 10 bucks for gas, or a 12pk of beer. If he doesn't offer to pay, he probably will at least brag to his friends that his lawn guy helped with the project which could lead to more work.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
soloscaperman

soloscaperman

LawnSite Gold Member
I'd say if you have nothing else going on help him out just as you would help a friend. If he pays you, cool. If he asks how much he owes you just tell him you'd like 10 bucks for gas, or a 12pk of beer. If he doesn't offer to pay, he probably will at least brag to his friends that his lawn guy helped with the project which could lead to more work.
Posted via Mobile Device
True and his buds that have older cars have money so it would lead to good accounts :) Being serious though, I might be working for this builder if it doesn't snow (I do snow removal) so hopefully this guy will call me on a weekend to help him with the car. The car was pretty nice looking! He said GM only made it for one year and total now there are about 40-50 of these cars out there. Production was 1500 from what he said in 1934.He was on TV years ago because he is one of the best guys when it comes to custom convertible tops and interiors. He gets a lot of side work from rich people to do interiors. Wouldn't be surprised if he did work for 50 cent or Jay Leno. Maybe I should barter with him and have him make my mower seat more comfortable lol.

Last edited:

DQL10

LawnSite Senior Member
Personally, I would help him out a few weekends a month if you have the free time. And I say this only because I would like a friend with a project like this because I enjoy fixing up old vehicles and such. And it might benifit you down the road. If he pays you great, if not its only a few weekends a month if you have the free time and the knowledge you'd learn would be well worth it in my opinion.

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
i personally stick to the services i offer for my lawn company with any clients.

i don't consider myself friends with any of my clients and prefer to keep it that way.

i'm there to cut there grass, prune there shrubs, etc. not be buds to tinker with cars or other stuff.

but thats just my $.02