doing the real thing and have a few questions

zjf

LawnSite Member
Or should I say a million and 1! I posted a few months ago about starting and asked all the basic questions on what to charge and blablabla. Well I went and got my DBA ,1 mill in liability, checking acct, had cards made,Having an ad ran in a local paper that covers most of the county.In the process of having a web site built.And have all mu equipment ready to go.
My 1st question is do you guys thing that 8 ads area good amount in the paper or should I do more. they will start mid march with a home improvement special with a 3x3 ad, then april will have a lawn care and landscaping special with another 3x3 ad. may and june will run a 2.5x2 ad every other week in the lawn care/landscaping. with another 3x3 ad in the fall home care special.Do you pros think that it is enough or should I try to run it all summer, right up until the fall home care? Considering what I will be running above is a little over 400 and I
can always ad more to it as I go but of course the price goes up.
Another question I had was I see guys posting about commercial accounts that pay by the week,all year long on contract. How when and were do I find these. Do I shop in the beginning of the year(jan) or should I look now? just go in and ask if there taking bids? with bizz cards in hand or what?

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
Newpaper ads are dying big time... 40 years ago the local advertizer was a weekly paper and one could get any kind of business going, with a 3 line ad... hopefully you'll get calls, but I would invest more in door hangers and person to person door knocking... good luck...

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
I spent $1600 last spring doing what your doing, got one mulch job from it.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
Z

zjf

LawnSite Member
my area has a lot of people from nyc buying weekend homes. The paper that I will be running the advertisement in is directed towards them. every body I know that is self employed is has used this paper to advertise there services and have had good luck with it.I tried the door hangers a few years ago when I was doing seal coating and put out almost 4000 door hangers and never got one call!