Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have this client who is going on a Bermuda cruise for 10 days, and does't want me to cut till he gets back. He is already due for a cut. Showed up today to cut, he says I dont want it cut till I get back.

He says to me we need the cash for Bermuda.

I told him , no problem, but will charge him more since it will be real high,

He calmly tells me, now get this, no charge me the same you have the equipment.

Didn't say a word...Just said no problem have a great trip.

After we drove away I told my employee, when he gets back, I will inform him to find someone else, cause I aint cuttin it any more....I bet he wishes he woulda just forked up the $40.

An hour later he calls me on the cell phone, and tells me, I talked to my wife, and she told me we need it cut before we go.

I am gonna drop him like a rock!!!!!!:angry:

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
Ahhh, I love customers like that. I have dropped so many customers because of a situation similar to that. They want me to wait, but they feel that they shouldn't have to pay more.

What fun!!!!:dizzy:

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Now you have a service call that you already dragged your employee to. You need to explain this to him. Wages + fuel + your time = ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
God I hate that!

Have you read my post " Anal Over Water Bill"? Well if you read it its about this guy who is venting about his grass getting mowed after he watered to go on vacation bla bla bla

Anyways this guy is a rel-estate agent and he sometimes out of the blue calls and expects me to mow a property that is closing the next day all the way accost town. sometimes up to 50mn away with traffic.

Since I only have 13 customers I just deal with it knowing that I will not have to next year.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yer right runner. I would like to be a fly on the wall after he gets back. and I tell him I aint cuttin it anymore.

He thinks I am gonna cut it this weekend, but HIS problem is, I just picked up a butt load of high end accounts to replace people just lke him, and he just caught me at the wrong time...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Showed up today to cut, he says I dont want it cut till I get back.
I will tell you right now... if I drove out to his house and he told me not to cut, you had better believe he would get billed for me showing up. Unless they call me the day before not to cut, they are just better off paying at that point. :cool:

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Why you dropping him?

Has he done this before? Does he constantly chisel you on price for added services?

So the guy goes away and thinks he save a cut. Wouldn't you?

What do you do when they don't water during a drought and it's all brown for 2 months?

What do you do when they are having remodeling work done and the day you are scheduled you realy can't do it. But the job will be finished and cleanup in a day or two?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You know what, I don't know about dropping him. If it was me I would respect his wishes and not mow the lawn. However, once he returned I would notify him that if he would like me to continue services I will have to increase my price to compensate for the missed mowing and the taller grass. If he disagrees, tell him that this is non-negotiable and that he will need to find a new LCO. If he has no problems, you're happy to continue service.

If you just picked up a bunch of new accounts, it's not a big deal. If you can resolve this problem without compromising, all the better -- give that a chance before you just drop him.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Interesting posts, I would love to have my customers all on a monthly price but here in OK that isn't likely so I charge per cut. That being said here is how I handle potential customers when they call I give them a price for the mow, trim, edge, blow. and tell them this price is for EVERY week, not every other, or every ten days. Every week right through the summer until frost, if we get in a drought will will discuss that when the time comes. I don't do this skip me this time. Most never have a problem with this, if they do I explain that when the grass is growing a lot I don't charge more,and when it slows down I don't cut it less it all evens out. I also tell them why should I put you in the schedule and allow you to call me and say skip me and I've got someone else willing to have it done every week.

·
Registered
315 Posts
These people need to realize what is going on. They call us to take care of their yard and make it look good. If they want to try and change things up on you then drop them and get customers that are good (there are many of them out there). Another thing to consider, is the fact that your company looks bad if his yard looks bad. People on the outside looking in don't know what is going on in this particular situation. As far as they know, you are a slacker that shows up when you want, and allows the yard to go uncut for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I agree with PPLMike. Also, if he didn't want you to cut, he should have let you know in advance. Once in a while a customer will pull that and I have to let them know, "In the future, if you decide to skip, I'd appreciate it if you'd call a day or so ahead so I don't have to come out here for nothing." If a person has respect for you, it won't happen again. As far as skipping and letting it grow while he's gone, its only fair that you charge more. Its more work, harder on your equipment, etc. . . If he doesn't see it that way, do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Lets get this straight. He has the money to go to Bermuda. But needs an extra $40 to make the trip complete.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I say don't cut it until he gets back, as asked.

I guess this guy is on a "per cut" basis?

Raise the blades 3/4ths to 1/2 an inch BEFORE you get to the house next time. Cut him like normal, don't double cut, but leave it looking "acceptable. It won't be tooo hard for you to do overall. And with the blades being raise, he'll need it cut AGAIN sooner. At the 2nd cut, which would be in 1 week lower the blades back down to the normal level. It'll again be easy to do.

Tell him that while he was gone, the weather was nice and cool so it's been growing really fast.. This way he shouldn't question the blade height difference, if he even notices...

Gary

·
Registered
229 Posts
You guys are going to have a heart attack worrying about this stuff. If the account requires a double cut when he gets back, so what? A standard sized residential yard would only take about an extra 10-15 minutes to complete. If you're losing sight of customer service you've probably lost focus of your business goals. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to keep an existing account than to find a replacement.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Another member once posted... we have 2 types of clients..... those that have us maintain their property to keep it looking good, and those that want to keep it from looking bad........which one is he? I think I already know......
Oh... BTW, did he tell the grass not to grow while he's away?

I currently have 2 EXTRA customers in my schedule because they will be away and want the grass to be cut in their absence.......So it still looks good when they return...... one is a friend of mine, and after 2 cuts (by me) it looks the best it has all season.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
T Edwards

Thanks for the insight. After reading some of the other posts in this thread and other threads of smiliar comments. I thought I was struggling to keep things in perspective.

To many comments to drop the customer cause one silly incident. Bad business advice people.

In my opinion not worth creating a thread and asking advice. Does it affect the people here if you drop the customer? No! It affects you.

Sure sounds all good and indepent to just spout out "Drop the loser" How many of these people are following the advice they are giving, when it is one silly incident with a customer.

There is no problem with a customer asking not to cut his lawn while he is away. How you handle it is up to you. The relationship you have with that customer is what you made of it. You want to skip the cut fine. Me I would explain that the arrangement was every week. Or we operate on a weekly basis. While your away I can keep an eye on the house throw out the daily paper. Make house appear as though you are home. Do it might not invite the possibility of a break in.

Geeez. People, you've got to know how to communicate.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
First off, I would have told the guy right off the bat "look, just because you're going away, doesn't mean your grass is gonna stop growing. And I'm not going to beat up my machines just so yoiu can save 40 bucks pal."

Secondly, if $40 is gonna make that much of a difference to this meathead, he's not in too great of a financial situation to be going away on cruises. I'd watch this guy real carefully in the future IMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.