Don't laugh / Gator Blades Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Michael Ray, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

BS. I have had mine nicked/dinged/gouged several times by average sticks I failed to see in time. All the fusion treatment does is help them hold their edge longer while cutting grass.

T Total Lawncare, JMK26 and hort101 like this.
  2. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Sticks don't usually do to much damage to the gator style blades I run. A root or rock is another story though. I'm not even sure what the blades I have are. I cleaned up a few properties with them and should have been against the law some of the crap I ran over with them. Pine cones, gum balls, sticks, pine straw, leaves and even some sappling trees and I still couldn't hardly dull them jokers. When I took em off for the hi lifts they were still plenty of sharp to cut grass with. They are a Husqvarna OEM style gator and they seem to be much harder than the Oregon series of gators.

3. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

You hit a few dried oak or hickory branches, you'll have a different experience with the G blades. It doesn't totally trash them, but it can sure knock a big dent or gouge into the cutting edge.

4. tenja

tenja LawnSite Member

I don't have any hardwood around. And on my own property, it better be bigger than ¾" or so for me to even pick it up. And the G6 blades blast through them like butter with no major dings.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Even if you don't get the dings, hitting sticks takes the sharpness off the cutting edge a LOT faster than just cutting grass. If you're a HO, that may not matter to you, but when you do it for money, it makes a big difference in the QOC you get from them, and what you leave behind on the lawns you've cut with them, not to mention having to sharpen more often than would otherwise be needed.

hort101 likes this.