1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

door hanger percentages

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Dan the mowing man, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Dan the mowing man

Dan the mowing man LawnSite Member

From reading several messages on this site door hangers seem to be a very useful tool for advertising. After distributing the hangers what percentage of estimates do you do, and what percentage become actual clients ? Thank you for your replys.

2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'd guess that I have to hang 200 door hangers to generate a call. One out of two calls will become a full time mowing customer.

One out of 12 regular weekly mowing customers will be lost to non-payment within the frist 6 months. One out of 12 regular weekly mowing customers will move or otherwise cancel within the first six months.

In order to gain 10 good mowing clients, I figure I need to hang about 4,800 door hangers.

Those are my guesstimates.

Hope this helps,
    DFW Area Landscaper

3. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I put out 500 door hangers last spring and got O calls it was a big wast of time for me. I ran one ad in a local newspaper and got 20 calls in the first day.

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I average 3 calls per 100 flyers/hangers. Luckily I get 2 out of 3, if not all 3 to sign a yearly agreement. Dan, I'm in the Flint area. Need anything or have any questions, email or PM me. Good luck with the hangers.

5. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Do a TV commercial and run it on the local cable network. I just found out how cheap it can be .....

6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had 500 door hangers and 0 calls.

Maybe I think I started too soon, I should start again in Februrary.

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it really depends on the areas that you target with fliers on what kind of response you get. The people that live in 1/2 million dollar house's seem to be the cheapest peeps around

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

There are various factors involved.....timing, area, presentation, to name a few. I passed out 1200 and got 3 calls...all one-time jobs. Passed out another 800 in different area and got around 10 calls....2 which were for weekly mowing and the other 8 for one-time jobs. Passed out 1600 and a cooking show....0 calls. Passed out another 1000 for leaf removals....0 calls. I am getting ready to do some direct mailing with flyers.

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Dan,

Here is a quote from this post.

" I concentrate on specific neighborhoods, one at a time. My return is about 2-4 customers per 1000 hangers, depending if it recently rained before they were handed out."