Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has tried using door hangers and direct mails for getting customers. I've been trying door hangers and have distributed several hundred. The response rate is really low though, around 1%. So if I distribute 1000 flyers I might get 10 responses from customers who want to get quotes. The problem is it takes a long time for me to go around and distribute 1000 flyers.

I was thinking of trying the direct mail approach. Has anyone had any luck with that? Basically I'd need to lookup the addresses of homes, print a bunch of flyers, put them in envelopes, and mail them out.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Either way you will not put out 1000 pieces and end up with 100 phone calls.
The reality is that response to advertising is affected by demographics, the design, the offer and the weather.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I dislike doorhangers for the exact reason you state. I'll hang some on neighboring properties but walking around distributing 1000's is for the birds.

EDDM (Every Door Direct Mail) from the post office or a direct mail company. No need to look up addresses.

Get proper EDDM cards made and they run $.175 per piece to mail and are sent to carrier routes which you choose. Sure it may cost more but I think it's more efficient. 5000 nice 6.5"x8" cards were about $500 plus about $875 in postage

Typical response rate is similar but timing is critical and I'd think you would do better with multiple mailings vs just one mailing.

I'm still trying to figure what works best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another idea I had was to hire a sign spinner and put them at a busy intersection, next to traffic stops. I read the rules regarding this and it's different for every county, but in general it seems fine as long as they only stand there during business hours. If someone like another business owner had an issue with it, the sign spinner could just move a block or two away since they're mobile. I figure it might cost ~$150 for a full day to hire a professional sign spinner to do this, and maybe ~$50 for a professional looking sign for them to use.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Advertise where you want to work not on a street corner, unless you in a different profession that is.
Mail, door hangers, flyers are distributed where you want customers.

·
Registered
780 Posts
1) If your printing flyers and mailing them yourself you are wasting money on postage for an extremely unprofessional piece. You could have something professionally printed and have them mail and it would be cheaper because of the deals you can get on postage through a mailing company.

2) Your response rate with direct mail will be significantly lower than door hangers. Its just another clutter in their mail where as a door hanger says, "I physically came to your house to drop this off, check it out." There is more meaning behind it and it stands out much better.

Door hangers will give you an average of a 1-1.5% response rate.

Direct mail will give you an average of a 0.25%-0.5% response rate.

In our experience, but your advertising must be professional..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.