Dormant Grass or Problem?

Ralph greengrass

LawnSite Member
Hey all,

In new england and my grass is browning out but not uniformly. Wondering if grass is dormant or if I have bigger problems like grubs. Any thoughts?

20190801_201749.jpg

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
Probably brown patch. It's pretty rampant because of the humidity this year, you got close up pics? Hasn't been hot enough or dry enough for grass to go dormant

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
Um, that's because brown patch feeds off of water... quit watering

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm looking for a close up of a almost dead blade. If confirmed to be brown patch, quit watering and do not fertilize. This years rainfall has really let the funguss thrive. Brown patch is very common and incurable. Most of the time it's so insignificant it can be blown off with higher mowing. You're a little past that. A good fungicide needs to be sprayed at weekly intervals (follow the lable). Youre lawn wont bounce back you'll want to overseed and aerate in the fall And spray it again next year around June to halt its presence in humid weather. Stay way from nitrogen in summer weather. Brown patch likes constant wet soil nitrogen heat and humidity.

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
chlorothalonil and Azoxystrobin to name a few of the thousand out there. The later is systemic and lasts a little longer

Last edited:
OP
R

Ralph greengrass

LawnSite Member
One week post treatment (used f stop) and it's getting worse. Pics attached. Do another treatment of a different anti fungal or just wait and dethatch/overseed?

20190811_144701.jpg

20190811_144717.jpg

20190811_144759.jpg