• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Dormant St Augustine & broadleaf weeds

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
I went and looked at a couple of new lawns today for bids. They were both St Augustine with tons of broadleafs. I want to use something pretty strong since the temps are still pretty cool [it was 61 and sunny today, boy did it feel great]. I looked at the Speedzone Southern label, another 24d ester label and the Trimec Classic label and all these said not to use on transitioning St Augustine between dormancy and greenup.
Can anyone please give me a recommendation or do ya'll feel some of the ones mentioned are safe.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
If the st augustine is dormant, Speedzone Southern is good. I like to kick up my ester with 0.25-0.5 oz metsulfuron. There are many weeds that will burn down with a 2,4-D based spray, but they can recover. I would hate to be in the position of burning down weeds only to have them grow back at a time when it is not a good idea to spray again. Metsulfuron also has good residual properties.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
If the st augustine is dormant, Speedzone Southern is good. I like to kick up my ester with 0.25-0.5 oz metsulfuron. There are many weeds that will burn down with a 2,4-D based spray, but they can recover. I would hate to be in the position of burning down weeds only to have them grow back at a time when it is not a good idea to spray again. Metsulfuron also has good residual properties.
I'll tag on and ask if there is any reason to be using the Trimec Plus with msma on the bermuda at these temperatures? I did use speed zone this
week and got a very good kill. The St Augustine is still pretty brown in our area. The kill with Trimec is pretty slow...

Turfdoctor1

LawnSite Senior Member
I'll tag on and ask if there is any reason to be using the Trimec Plus with msma on the bermuda at these temperatures? I did use speed zone this
week and got a very good kill. The St Augustine is still pretty brown in our area. The kill with Trimec is pretty slow...
would be extremely slow, but Manor is your best bet for safety issues on St. Augustine and winter annuals such as henbit, etc.

may be time for them to die on their own before the Manor does it's trick, but if safety for the St. Augustine is the main concern this may be your best option.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I save MSMA for when it is much warmer. Learned my lesson. Did a lawn in January many years ago with 2 oz MSMA/1000 + 1/2 oz per gallon of nonionic. Might as well have been spraying water. It was 75 in the day time and cloudy. Did not do a thing to the crabgrass and paspalum. Trimec amine formulations never did much for me. I used to use an ester Three Way branded Super Trimec. Now that was some good stuff. It would drop weeds inside of one week. I do like Speedzone Southern, much safer on sensitive grasses. With the Super, I would calculate 1/4 the label rate to prevent turf damage.