Dormat/ spring lawn renovation

OP
R

Rick Reed

LawnSite Member
At this time all the seed has been down for a week so i don't think im going to worry about a precise germination percentage. What's done is done. I will keep this thread updated as the season continues. I just ordered tenacity, surfactant, dye and some new parts for my chemical sprayer. After i get it ready i will spray the first round asap.

OP
R

Rick Reed

LawnSite Member
I am mildly concerned. I just got home from working on my old house. I then looked around with my flashlight for germinating grass seed. I did not see anything. I thought to myself go check around the foundation where it is warmer. So i went and looked several feet from where my furnace is. About a foot from my foundation and i found germinating grass seed. RIght after i planted the grass seed it was 27 that night then the next night 37 then 31. I am still trying to be optimistic. I am thinking the soil temperature is decently warmer by the foundation. It will be interesting to see if the frost kills the majority of the grass seed or if it is only germinating by the foundation where it is warm and maybe will not frost again.

Screenshot_20200329-234928_Chrome.jpg

20200329_233001.jpg

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks for the update, Rick.
True, frost can still happen. However, frost will not kill new grass seed.
Well, maybe new Bermuda.
Temps below about 45 result in slow growth for a few hours.
We have a few tiny sprouts from new grass seed in my Michigan town. See my photo. Slight greenup has occurred. We have few early crocus. And I spotted a dandelion a couple days ago. It is 45 F here. Hopefully it is warmer in your town, Germantown.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Most northern turfgrass are not sensitive to frost. Late frost in spring or early frost in fall--no damage to new seed as far as I know.
If you are growing a tall grass like corn--that can be damaged--so I have heard.

OP
R

Rick Reed

LawnSite Member
Riggle,
Thanks for the information. On the positive side i finally have my mole traping down. Last year and this winter my property was decimated by moles. I thought about it all winter and decided i was complicating things way too much. I can now put my victor traps out in about 30 seconds and have completely wiped the moles
20200330_231445.jpg
out on my property in 7 days. I have not had a single tunnel in over a week and i live in mole central. When they start to filter back in the old mole tunnels after this breeding season I will be ready.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Rick,
I see 6. Looks like you are on the leader-board in the mole hunting competition!
Clearly that type of mole trap is effective.
Is it a Victor?
Requires two special setting levers for leverage, right?

OP
R

Rick Reed

LawnSite Member
Quick update grass is starting to germinate
20200403_100010.jpg
all over the property. You would have top zoom in to see in picture and grass by the foundation of the
20200403_100030.jpg
house is about a one inch tall.

Top Forums