DOT and Single Axel Trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jbell36, Mar 11, 2013.

  1. southerlawn

    southerlawn LawnSite Member
    from Hays NC
    Messages: 65

    I apologize for not adding that bit in thought I did, but RV's used in commerce must also have DOT #'s but if being used for recreation only then one is not need
  2. Duffster

    Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 1,197

    That may be new law in MI. But most state have adopted these regulations as their own so being inter or intra doesn't really matter.
  3. lalllc

    lalllc LawnSite Member
    Messages: 67

    The other day a friend of mine got pulled over . He was pulling a goose neck car haller. The dot told him most people who own them do so for trade and he did not have a dot # so the cop pulled him over. The guy I know collects old cars and takes them to car shows with it . He was comming back from getting the trailer painted. ??????
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Cody S

    Cody S LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 753

    I know that's how it is in MI and AZ. That is what the FMCSA told me.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. southerlawn

    southerlawn LawnSite Member
    from Hays NC
    Messages: 65

    Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number. The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company's safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.

    New-Entrant Program
    All first-time carrier applicants for a USDOT Number will be automatically enrolled in the FMCSA New Entrant Safety Assurance Program. This program requires new entrants to pass a safety audit and maintain acceptable roadside safety performance over an initial 18-month period before they are given permanent registration status. In most cases, companies operating exclusively as brokers or non-vehicle-operating shippers or freight forwarders do not need to obtain a USDOT Number.

    Some States Require USDOT Numbers
    In select states (see green highlighted states or list below), all registrants of commercial motor vehicles, even intrastate and non-Motor Carrier registrants, are required to obtain a USDOT Number as a necessary condition for commercial vehicle registration.(in which case the top paragraph doesn't apply)

    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

    A USDOT Number is required if you have:

    vehicles that are over 10,000 lbs,
    if you transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation,
    if you transport 16 or more passengers, or
    haul hazardous materials in interstate commerce.
    There is no application fee ever associated with the U.S. DOT Number. You must complete the MCS-150 (Motor Carrier Identification Report) to obtain a USDOT Number. The form can be found on our web site at The MCS-150 can be completed on line or you can print out a copy of the form, complete and mail to the address indicated. If you do not have access to the Internet, you can call our toll-free number at 1-800-832-5660 to have one mailed to you.

    Generally, if you are operating as a "for-hire" motor carrier of regulated commodities or passengers in interstate commerce, you must also obtain interstate Operating Authority (MC Number) unless your "for-hire" operation is limited to the transportation of exempt commodities, or you operate within a commercial zone, exempt from the interstate Operating Authority rules. Information about commercial zone exemptions may be found at 49 CFR 372.
    now with the log books I was partly incorrect if you stay with in a 150 mile radius you don't have to keep them
    so law or not with the FMSCA regs book if you have to get a DOT number it was just be wise to have it so you know the regs

    everything above the dashes is straight out of the 2013 fmsca regs book I have a CDL class A and have for 9 years now the laws are starting to change massively so I would keep a close eye on them
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  6. Cody S

    Cody S LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 753

    "The Agency identifies 16 regulations that are essential elements of basic safety management controls necessary to operate in INTERSTATE commerce and makes a carrier's failure to comply with any one of the 16 regulations an automatic failure of the safety audit."

    That is off the site. 95% of those rules/regulations has to do with interstate. The FMCSA has unified the interstate rules throughout the country. However, each state picks and chooses which laws to enforce for intrastate. The New Entrant Safety Assurance Program has been in place since Jan. 2003. When you apply for your OWN DOT number, based off of what you put down, the FMCSA will send you a letter letting you know what you need to do to comply with your DOT# status. I for example do not have a CDL nor a commercial vehicle weighing over 26,000lbs. I am intrastate non-hazmat, and only need to have my truck DOT inspected. No safety audits, nothing. I am not a broker. I do not have drivers of commercial vehicles, etc. Now, if I ran a trucking depot, that'd be a different story. Also, if my company had a fleet of trucks, trailers, and employees to drive them, I'd still be intrastate, I would need to have my drivers have proper med cards, CDL's, etc, but I'd be going through my states requirements.

    My dad's had a CDL A with Hazmat for 20+ years, all my info is from the FMCSA, my state, and him. My advice is call your State DOT, then call the FMCSA, and then, if need be, apply for your DOT.
  7. shawnlc

    shawnlc LawnSite Member
    from na
    Messages: 20

    For the most part DOT won't mess with you if you're hauling small open trailers or enclosed trailers. When they do mess with you though, they'll be checking out your axle weight, marker lights, tail lights, signals, etc.

    They will also want to know if you're hauling freight for a business. Whether you do out of state work, etc.
  8. Cody S

    Cody S LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 753

    Exactly. Everyone on here has posted solid info on DOT. For the most part, the guy with a single axle trailer, hauling personal property, in their own state, will be fine. Just make sure nothings broken when you pull out of the drive!
  9. TMlawncare

    TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,199

    Our Isuzu npr with landscape dovetail is rated at 12k, you will get pulled over, we do. It seems to be happening more frequently lately amongst the smaller trucks. Must be a money thing.
  10. TMlawncare

    TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,199

    Cody S, very well explained. I only have a problem with one part, hazardous materials. If you are over 10k, and haul mowers, gas cans, skidsteer, weedeater your are considered a small quanity hazmat hauler. For this you will need 1,000,000 of public liability insurance on your commercial vehicle insurance and a mcs-90 endorsement in your files for your safety audit. Just had my safety audit two weeks ago. That was a pleasurable 2.5hrs with two inspectors.

Share This Page