1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

DOT inspections and 18001 gvwr limit

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DFLS, Jan 7, 2008.

  1. DFLS

    DFLS LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 354

    So I want to stay under the federal 18001 gvwr. Bought a new trailer. What it all boils down to is that even though my trailer title and the manufacturer sticker on the side of the trailer says 9150 gvwr the axles are still 5000 each which means the dot can use 10000 gvwr for the trailer. That with the 8800 gvwr of the truck puts me over the 18001 gvwr federal guidelines and makes me subject to trucker rules including logbooks, CDL, placards, name on truck, etc,etc:dizzy:. It all depends on the inspector and what he thinks on that givin day of inspection. I would love to have the tandem 5000 lb axles for durability and a safer longer lasting trailer :weightlifter: but the regulation hassles are making me buy and use a more inferior setup. Go figure:hammerhead: If only there was a way to solidify the gvwr of the trailer at 9150 as the title states... Any ideas??
  2. d&rlawncare

    d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 741

    Were does it say the axles are 5000 each? on the axles?
  3. DFLS

    DFLS LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 354

    There is a # stamped on the tube that can be cross referenced to the rating.
  4. DFLS

    DFLS LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 354

    Also on the sticker on the side of the trailer right next to the 9150GVWR it says axle rating: 5000lbs.
  5. PerfectEarth

    PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,734

    Huh?? You need to be at 26,001 for a CDL. You need not worry about a CDL. ...and you need a name on your truck with a DOT number (which is free) anyway. If you've been doing this for 15 years, it's time you become compliant.

    I don't think you'll need a Log Book if you're keeping trips within a 100 mile radius (e.g. only doing local business)... but someone correct me if I'm wrong. That's what KY DOT told me.

    *edit- you're in CT, I think you're OK with no DOT number if intrastate. My fault.
  6. d&rlawncare

    d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 741

    I just posted this on your other thread. But GVWR is what we have to go by. Just cause your axles are 5000 each thats the weight THEY can haul. That does not mean thats what the rest of the trailer was designed to haul. GVWR 9150, this means take 9150 minus the trailer weight, lets say 3000, gives you 6150. This trailer was made/designed to haul that 6150. Its not just the axles. Its the leaf springs/frame/brakes. The TOTAL design of the trailer.

    CDL is a power unit ABOVE 26,001 GVWR has nothing to do with the combo. YOU DONT NEED!!!

    logbooks are if you are more than 110 miles (as the crow flies) from point a to b. Not actual miles driven. I HOPE YOU DONT DRIVE THAT FAR FROM HOME!!!!!

    placards are for haz mats in excess of 1000 gallons. would have to look up for sure becuase I have not been haz mat certified in 2 years now. thank god. I DOUBT YOU CARRY ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES PLACARDS

    what it boils down to is- WHAT IS THE GVWR ON THE VIN PLATE OF YOUR TRAILER?

    your average mower guy/girl will have a GCWR (gross combo weight rating) in excess of 10,000 pounds. So you will need:

    med card
    carrier id
    fire ext and warn device
    driver license
    equipment secured
    dot number
  7. d&rlawncare

    d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 741

    your right
  8. supercuts

    supercuts LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,808

    yeah, all that matters is what you register it as, which is why they ask you what you want the gvw to be. your allowed UP TO its max. you dont need to register it up to the max. i was so happy my F550 is a 17.5K gvw, i dont want to bother with all that dot crap. by law in CT you are supposed to have still have flares, fuse, first aid, and DOT medical card from a phyiscian to drive any veh for commerical use.
  9. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    You need to check with your particular state, VA is 26,000+ for CDL but aren't some states still 10,000+?

    As for the trailer, if it's rated 9150 then I don't care if the axles will hold 500,000 pounds, you can put class E load rated tires on it doesn't mean it will hold more, that's just one part of the trailer, the vehicle has a sticker because it means the trailer as a whole unit has a maximum GVWR of 9150, tell the inspector that and send'm packing they want to raise a fuss you can NOT drop 10k on a 9.15k trailer no matter what one part or the other might hold.

    Either way, you need to check on your particular state's CDL regulations just to be sure on this weight limit thing.
  10. d&rlawncare

    d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 741

    Yes he should check with his state but the CDL/logbook/med cards etc are federal law that ALL states should have adopted. This is now the trucking industry standard and makes INTERstate trucking easier to comply with.

Share This Page