1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

DOT laws or regulations???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

    Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,164

    I live in South Carolina, a mile from the North Carolina stateline and Charlotte NC.

    I work mostly in N.C. but drive my truck in both Carolinas, as well as to Florida and north to Indiana for recreational purposes.

    My truck is a Isuzu NPR cabover, with a Gas engine in it and a 12,000 Pound GWVR. I have no idea what the truck weights empty, nor with my mowers on it as well, although I feel certain it is under the 12,000 pound limit the truck itself has.

    I want to make sure I am legal to operate this truck!

    I have just a standard issue drivers license, and the truck has a SC state license plate, with a weight rating of 12,000 lbs.

    I do NOT have a DOT number, or anything else.

    I do have 3 trinangles in the tool box and a fire extinglisher.

    I can not get any help from the dealer who sold me the truck as to the laws for operating it goes, and I can't find any help on the SC DOT website either. Any help would be appreciated!
  2. start2finish

    start2finish LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 497

    registered GVWR of less than 26,000# and less then three axles on the power unit would be similar to a normal pickup.

    when you cross into three axles or over 26k you need apportioned plates and IFTA fuel decals.( TO CROSS STATE LINES) in short the states you operate in share in the fuel taxes and licensing fees for the abuse on their roads. Or they just want their share of the pie. based on what information you posted you are fine anywhere in the US

    you do need to put your company name as well as a telephone number on 2 or 3 inch letters (im not sure the size requirement) on both sides of the cab. the ONLY exemption to this is if you are a private carrier which means you only haul things for yourself. This may cause as big of an arguement as the CDL issue, but the definition of private carrier is a farm or hauling things to your home. not hauling things to your job. I was under the impression that if we hauled things only for ourselves (jobs) that we were private. This is not the case and we we cited on this last year. if someone pays you to haul then you are for hire. this is another thing as well, such as hiring out your truck hourly to haul for another company or such. this is a very complicated issue here. letter you truck and you will be in good shape
  3. Total Landscape Solutions

    Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member
    Messages: 190

    Definition of a commercial vehicle taken directly from DOT website.

    Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

    (1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

    (2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

    (3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

    (4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

    This and other info taken from DOT web-site tells us:

    1. any GCVW of 10,001lbs or greater must have a medical card
    2. any GCVW of 26,001lbs or greater must have a CDL
    In addition to these you must have a drug testing policy.

    I'd call your local DOT numbering station. My local representative here was very helpful in assisting me with getting the registration process started. She also helped me after the registration process with understanding all the requirements and how to adhere to them.
  4. LLandscaping

    LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,016

    Look up your state trucking association and it will have a link to the D.O.T. In Alabama any commercial vehicle with a 10,000 GVW or higher must have a Dot number posted and the driver must have a health card. And you must have a yearly inspection done. They just started requiring the Dot number and Health card for the above in July of 2006.
  5. d&rlawncare

    d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 741

    Did it say GCVW or GCWR- the first meaning actual weight, the second weight rating. The federal regs go by weight rating.
    Ill have to look it up but the drug testing depends on how many employees you have. PM me and I will send you a list of everything you need. Then call you DOT and run the list by them. I do DOT for Michigan and when I post things on here it just turns into a big debate.

    PM me if you want and remind me to send you a list. Its late time for :sleeping:
  6. Rons Rightway Lawncare

    Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,164

    I also need to mention that the truck is in my name, not a company name. Also I have a company name, but do business as myself.

    I only haul my lawn stuff on the truck to do my work, I am not a delivery service.

    And if 10,001 pounds total weight is where all this stuff starts to apply then there must be thousands upon thousands of illegal vehicles running along on the highways and interstates in this part of the country.... Most pickup trucks 2500 series and higher are rated for well over 10,001 pounds, and I see these trucks operated for commercial purposes all the time without DOT numbers and so on.

    What is a medical card all about? I carry a 3rd class aviation medical card, but this is for my pilots license privledges, wonder if that is good enough?

    How much do DOT numbers cost?

    And why do I need to put a company name and phone number on my doors...? I see trucks all the time without signage, and I prefer the clean look of the truck sans signage

    Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.
  7. start2finish

    start2finish LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 497

    i was certain this would happen, letter your truck and roll on.
    as long as you are not violation fuel tax regs or plates, no problem. and if you are still wary, drive your pickup or car up 85 to the scale house. pull in and ask away.
  8. d&rlawncare

    d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 741

    DOT numbers are FREE. type in FMCSA and you should be able to find the website. If they are charging for it then its the wrong site.

    NO, your aviation medical card does not work. Pretty much same requirements.

    You need it on your dorr because its the LAW. No other way to put it.
  9. start2finish

    start2finish LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 497

    "Intrastate Non-Hazmat motor carriers and Intrastate Hazmat motor carriers:

    The following States have adopted the Federal USDOT marking requirements for Intrastate motor carriers domiciled in Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

    The Intrastate motor carriers within these States are allowed to register online with FMCSA. If your State is not listed above, you do not need to complete this process. However, you may need to register your vehicle(s) with a PRISM State (Performance and Registration Information Systems Management), that handles your IRP plate renewal. For more information regarding your State requirements, please call the FMCSA field office in your State. For a listing of State offices, go to the FMCSA Field Roster web site.

    Hazardous materials shippers are not required to obtain a USDOT number and cannot register online.

    If you still have questions regarding USDOT numbers, you may call FMCSA support services at 1-800-832-5660"

    this is directly from the website when trying to register my company for a DOT number. from what I gather we do not need one. We do not register our vehicles in a IRP due to only operating in others states once in a while, when we do we purchase trip permits. From what I was reading I was under the impression we needed one. not the case

Share This Page