1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

DOT motor carrier # required for LCO's

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Stuttering Stan, Jan 18, 2009.

  1. Stuttering Stan

    Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,504

    Generally speaking, are lawn trailers required to have a motor carrier number? I heard that state police are starting to ticket LCO's for this. After doing some research, I found that a MC # is required for any commercial "For Hire" application. Any DOT experts out there that can shed some light on this?
  2. GravelyNut

    GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,594

    All depends on your state or states you go to. VA won't be the first to do it. Depends on truck GVWR too.
  3. PerfectEarth

    PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,734

    You're most likely "Private"...not "For Hire".

    Go here- www.fmcsa.gov and click on the "Registration and Assistance" shaded blue box on the front page. Then, the "Help me register" section on the next page.

    If your truck and trailer set-ups are combined OVER 10,000# (and they proabably are) you have a bit of research to do about complying. You can always call your State Police or Vehicle enforcement as well... Virginia does not require DOT numbers for INTRAstate commerce if you're under 26,000# GVWR or GCWR (I THINK.....). Do you cross state lines to work?
  4. Stuttering Stan

    Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,504

    I don't cross state lines, but the state is in such dire need of revenue that I can see tickets being issued. I have a friend with a dirt car racing setup and he said he was ticketed for not having a #. Guess I might have to dive in the anals of state code.
  5. nosparkplugs

    nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,444

    Most States Do not require DOT numbers if your under 26,000GVWR. For "hire" is if your towing other peoples "stuff". If your going to be towing your own equipment , and Stay in your State. you don't need DOT #'s make sure to check your State laws too.
  6. treeman06

    treeman06 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 62

    i believe you are considered for hire if you have a business, you need to legally have your business name own both doors and your usdot number on both doors. It applies to any vehicles over 10000 gvw.
  7. GravelyNut

    GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,594

    Such dire needs that they had fines higher for residents than out of staters. Till it got thrown out by the courts. Now they need the money even more.

Share This Page