dot numbers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mole, May 15, 2006.

  1. mole

    mole LawnSite Member
    Messages: 199

    What is the website for the free dot numbers for the northeast. I just did a search but could not find it. I know I have untill july to get them before i start getting fined. I can't beleave I have to get them. my truck and trailer will put me at 11k.
  2. carcrz

    carcrz LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,085

    Any time you are going commercial you need to have dot numbers. You will also need to have a cdl license. I forget what class though - think it's E.
  3. C.T. Lawn Care

    C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 252

    You do not need a CDL until your vehical is 26,000#'s, but you do need a DOT Physical Card. You can pick it up at any doctors office!
  4. jacob land and

    jacob land and LawnSite Member
    Messages: 142

    do you actually have to get a physical to get the DOT Physical Card?
  5. Scag48

    Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,067

    Why would you need a DOT physical if you don't have/aren't getting a CDL?
  6. J&R Landscaping

    J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,095

    You only need DOT numbering if your pulling a trailer that weighs more than 10,000 lbs right; or did I miss something?
  7. oldrustycars

    oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 301

    if your trailer is RATED for, or actually WEIGHS more than 10,000 pounds you must have a class a CDL. an empty trailer, with a plate stating it will weigh more than 10,001 pounds loaded, towed by an S10 pickup will require a class a cdl. look at your states web site for CDL info...its the same for all 50 states. and you need a DOT medical card also. i get mine at an industrial clinic. they are all over, usually companies send employees there for drug tests or after an injury. costs me $45 every 2 years. your doctor can also do it, for $300. its very simple..blood pressure, eyesight, hearing, piss in a cup. these are fedarl regulatiions, dont tell me "not in my state", it is in your state. they may not enforce it well, but its the law. and just my opinion, but if you cannot pass the CDL A test, and the physical, you shouldnt be driving a truck and trailer.
  8. Scag48

    Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,067

    Everyone screws up the 10,001 trailer law, it's a combination. If you're driving an F550 with a GVWR of 22,000 pounds towing a 12,000 pound trailer, you DO NOT need a CDL.

    If you are driving a dump truck with a GVWR of 33,000 (over 26,001) pulling a 12,000 GVWR trailer, you need a CDL. The trailer law is a combination law, therefore if your tow vehicle GVWR does not exceed 26,001 regardless of trailer you don't need a CDL.

    I'm pretty sure this is the same across the US, but in WA state that's how it is here. I was unclear about the law until I read through the book, working on getting my CDL right now.
  9. mole

    mole LawnSite Member
    Messages: 199

    if your truck and trailer combo weigh more than 10k in (ny state) your states may be different. we just had a semiar on this at our local lesco dist. but i lost the paper work. I don't know where you guys get the cdl class a I have one and Its for big rigs 18 wheelers. Class b is for dumpers and trailer,box trucks.
  10. texas

    texas LawnSite Member
    Messages: 192

    :) in la if you have a trailer/truck combo over 10000gvwr but under 26000gvwr you need a class d. you dont need to take a test though. you just sign up.

Share This Page