DOT registration

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
Hello fellas. Got a f550 bucket truck coming to me shortly. GVW 19 and change. Going to register it through DOT. I have the website. Can I apply before title is in my name?

Thank you.
Rob.

BackCreekLLC

LawnSite Member
When you say register through DOT, you mean getting a dot #?

If so, Yes. If I remember, they don’t ask for any vehicle specifics. You’re registering your company for a DOT #, not a truck.

It’s just going to ask for a breakdown of what style trucks your company has.

Last edited:

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Do you have to have one?

brichter14

LawnSite Bronze Member
Unless youre traveling between states for commercial work you dont need a dot number in my state. I drive a 550

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
In PA you do. The laws are a little confusing, but it seems that anything with a gvwr over 10,000 lbs requires dot numbers. Farm trucks are exempt though, so that tells me that "personal vehicles" "could" be exempt. I know for a fact that the PA dot has been pulling over pickups with heavy trailers like crazy lately. Also I know a guy that bought a bucket truck and dot stopped him for his numbers when he was driving it home for the first time.

I will say to the OP that you may want to put the truck on a scale before registering it because you do not need to register it at 19k. You're not going to be anywhere near that with a bucket lift. If it had a dump box on it, it would be a different story, but you might save yourself a couple hundred per year on registration by registering it only at what you need. Just don't forget about passenger weight and tools.

OP
K c m

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
In PA you do. The laws are a little confusing, but it seems that anything with a gvwr over 10,000 lbs requires dot numbers. Farm trucks are exempt though, so that tells me that "personal vehicles" "could" be exempt. I know for a fact that the PA dot has been pulling over pickups with heavy trailers like crazy lately. Also I know a guy that bought a bucket truck and dot stopped him for his numbers when he was driving it home for the first time.

I will say to the OP that you may want to put the truck on a scale before registering it because you do not need to register it at 19k. You're not going to be anywhere near that with a bucket lift. If it had a dump box on it, it would be a different story, but you might save yourself a couple hundred per year on registration by registering it only at what you need. Just don't forget about passenger weight and tools.
Appreciate the info sir. Well it’s got the full tool box reading style body. Here’s a picture.

50F05FD6-2CF7-4F62-89BD-887E415FE391.jpeg

TomH&H

LawnSite Senior Member
In PA, it's only 10,000 for interstate commerce, 17,000 for intrastate (meaning you never leave PA). But it's up to you to prove you're intrastate only, so it's easier to just get the #. You also need a DOT medical card to drive it if it's over 17k. And DOT has been on the prowl lately on the Blue Route, Roosevelt Blvd, the whole length of Broad Street, Packer Ave, and parts of I-95 up in to Bucks County. I'm sure they're in other neighborhoods too. So watch your rear end if you don't get everything done right, and lube it just in case.