• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Dot #s

outlaw1960

LawnSite Senior Member
The odds on getting stopped in Colorado are high. I have been pulled over 4 times last year, state must need revenue, lol. But I have been in compliance, safety equipment etc....here the registration for the numbers is free, just have to letter your vehicle. Good Luck in your decision.....

OP
J

jmjahollis

LawnSite Member
thanks. i will probally go have it inspected. do you also have to have a dot physical to drive truck as well. not worried about passing but i have 2 20yr olds that work for me and when i worked at tru-green u had to be 21 .

vanncann

LawnSite Senior Member
In our area it's not that bad at all. I do not have the #'s but that is it. All safety equipment is in place. They were pushing a few years back but not here lately. Now around Montgomery I here if your pulling your going to get stopped.

Kevin M.

LawnSite Member
The only reason why you need a DOT number or a dot medical card is if your driving a vehicle weighing in excess of 10,000 pounds or if your truck and trailer weigh more than 10,000 pounds. In other words if you drag around a bobcat then you will need one so when you get stopped your not taken out of service which is a royal pain in butt. You also need a dot number if your driving a truck that weighs more than 10,000 pounds or has a combination of 10,000 pounds with your weight. A normal landscape trailer with equiment doesnt come close to 10,000 pounds so your ok. This is a federal law and my previous job I worked for a company with over 70 vehicles ranging from town cars to motor coaches. I also have a Class B cdl with a passenger bus endorsement and air brake endorsement as well.

ryde307

LawnSite Senior Member
Here you have to have it over 10,000 so you meet that but otherwise you don't need it if you have city and state your from and phone # on the truck.

richard1103

LawnSite Member
you need dot# if you cross state line and gvwr is above 10,000

TMlawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
you need dot# if you cross state line and gvwr is above 10,000
Right here is the correct answer. If you go across the state line and your gvwr is above 10k you will be in violotion. It does not matter if your truck is empty and ways far less. You will get inspected and fined. They really don't seem to no the word "warning." I found this out when I crossed the state line going into Iowa. I was taking the Dixie chopper to the closest DC dealer and got pulled over for 2hrs and a list of citations. No Dot #'s, no fire extingquisher, no medical card, triangles. He checked the mower to see if it was secured all four points, did a full vehicle inspection, checked to see if I had a class E license or higher, checked insurance. It went on and on. I was lucky I was driving the Isuzu and not pulling a trailer.