Dot said put numbers on truck

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreatRiverLawnCareLLC, Oct 8, 2018.

1. GreatRiverLawnCareLLC

GreatRiverLawnCareLLC LawnSite Member

Dot said my one ton spray truck has to have dot numbers on it for interstate commerce. I can not figure out what cargo classification this would fall under and my insurance company State Farm, says they can not insure me if it is general cargo. What is everyone else using for the cargo classification?

2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

State Farm sucks they dont ins a lot of things. But my classification is some thing like lawn care equipment

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

State Farm definitely not the best for insuring applicators. Expensive, and Swiss cheese coverage.

4. GreatRiverLawnCareLLC

Understand the State Farm insurance thing but I still can not figure out what classification my truck needs for the DOT numbers.

Greencuts518 likes this.
  5. GreatRiverLawnCareLLC

I meant to say what cargo classification do I need for the spray truck

6. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I got fined earlier this year. But anyways I wasn’t sure either so I think I put General cargo on application

7. GreatRiverLawnCareLLC

I did manage to sign in today as was having trouble with my password. I found they had an "other" category so I put lawn fertilizer in for that and the website took it. Now to figure out how much insurance is needed and why the BO-3 form needs to be submitted by other entity. The DOT does not make any of this stuff easy

8. GreatRiverLawnCareLLC

jbturf how much did you get fined?

9. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope not easy it’s all a pita. Once you submit it you get bombarded phone and mail
    Solicitations. I never recieved any follow up communication from dot
    After either, so I called to ask questions afterward waited on hold over an hour -they were very rude
    And basically just said yup your numbers in the system..click. They must be just inundated with new registration etc. I think the fine was around 165. Cop said he was going easy as it should have been another 800 bux. The whole damn thing is just a money grab. I posted in trailer forum about it.
    Btw, they want everyone registered now even intrastate commerce only -like me.

Gl

oqueoque, hort101 and tebletlawns like this.
  10. GreatRiverLawnCareLLC

I know. I live in Iowa and they sit at the base of the bridge on the Iowa side waiting for people with trucks coming back across the bridge from Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin to bust us. I received a letter from them saying I had less then 20 days to comply. wtf They do not want you to know all the rules. Like you said a big money grab.

oqueoque likes this.