Dot said put numbers on truck

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreatRiverLawnCareLLC, Oct 8, 2018.

1. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

That's crazy! It just gets into too much B.S.

oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

No you don't , show me the FMCA reg supporting your position . I drive suger beet trucks every winter. We cross the border all the time . We have e logs but we don't need them . Got stopped for border safety inspection last winter. Wanted see all the other paperwork. Guess what, they were not interested in logs.

3. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kansas City

I highly doubt they are going to ask to see your records from the last year when you got stopped for an inspection. I think they are expected to just be kept in the office. Some states are different, but here ya go dishboy

2018-10-12 11.55.55.jpg

4. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

The pic may be hard to read but it says

In the FMCSR, Title 49 CFR, Part 395.8 establishes specific requirements and procedures for the maintenance of drivers’ records (logbooks) to document the number of hours on- and off-duty. The regulations also define specific requirements for the retention of these records. Again, there are numerous exceptions to these general requirements that modify or eliminate requirements to maintain a driver’s logbook. Verify individual state regulatory authorities to determine specific applicability of an exception.

5. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

But yes, there are different requirements if you are traveling more than 100 miles outward.

6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

We work in 2 states, WV/VA, have been told by DOT in both states that we DO NOT have to keep drivers logs or even mileage due to the fact that we stay within the 100 or 150 mile "as the crow flies" radius from our shop. We kept logs for years and did get a written summary from WV DOT stating that since we do not travel further than the radius we are not required to keep logs. Only stuff we worry about are fire extinguishers, triangles, med cards, haz mat insurance (due to gasoline in mowers/cans), and annual DOT inspection which for 1 ton trucks the state inspection is used in lieu of DOT inspection. Make sure all your lights work, and everything is up to snuff and it's nothing more than a hassle.

hort101 likes this.
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I was told by a Massachusetts dot cop that I don't need a a dot # unless I cross state lines to work? Truck is pro lettered with co phone # and town. also have health card.

hort101 likes this.
  8. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

Most lawn company's don't have to have dot numbers unless crossing state lines. Most rigs just aren't heavy enough. It's the interstate commerce where they get ya.

9. Mizzou21

Mizzou21 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

This isn't true. If you are driving a passenger car or most pickups even your GVWR will be under 10,000 LBS and your not labeled a Commercial Vehicle and aren't subject to DOT regulations.

10. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

If you are using that vehicle for commercial purpose like picking up materials, running bids, picking up or taking parts to a crew, it’s a commercial vehicle. Don’t matter the size, truck or car. I have been through a 3 hour one on one inspection with a dot inspector at our shop. I’m going to go with what she told me and the paperwork she gave me. Maybe your state is different but I know I’m all the way legit if I get stopped in Ks or Mo. DOT sits at the state line just waiting.