Double and triple seed

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I had a new overseeding experiment idea for my neighbor's vacant lot.
I sowed seed on one square foot micro-plots. Used a teaspoon of seed. This is equal to about 10 pounds per thousand sqft. Tall fescue was sown at about 10, 20, 30 and 40 pounds per thousand sqft.
Today four more micro-plots were added, just the same, but with annual ryegrass.

Then--why not? I added an extra one square foot plot with annual rye. It was "spiked" --that is soil was punched about 2 inches deep with a large screwdriver--100 times on the one square foot. This was sown with the equivalent of 20 pounds of annual rye per thousand.

Results should be visible about September 8.

The big problem is that it is difficult to differentiate the new grass from the old grass. There is no irrigation, but there was a light rain today. Air temperature about 82 F. Soil temp 72 F.

Last edited:
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Tall fescue was seeded at 1,2,3 and 4 teaspoons per sqft, (about 10,20,30 and 40 pounds per thousand sqft).
It was bare soil in shade, with only a very light rake for soil preparation. Not irrigated--rains were light.
At 20 days the germination was fair from 10, 20, and 30 pounds per thousand. Upper right, lower right, lower left. Excellent at 40 pounds per thousand sqft upper left.

View attachment 388454

SA400091x.jpg

I also tried to compare soil preparation methods, with tall fescue on bare soil. Light raking was best. Addition of peat moss (1 ounce), poor. Foot stomping to simulate rolling, poor. Fertilizer (33-0-8), poor.

I could not find the plot that had 100 screwdriver holes; marker lost.

Last edited:

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Awesome experiment! More seed obviously pays off if you got the coin to cover cost.
I usually light rake upside down. Time consuming in bigger areas though.

I bet a seeder with crimper/packer wheels helps. We used to use a 3point brillon seeder on big jobs and it gave pretty good results.

OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Good point--about the crimper/packer wheels, Landman.
Has anyone seen proof of this--that a packer or roller improves germination?
If so--what weight or psi pressure is optimum?