1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Double Blades on Toro WB...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cleve, Mar 2, 2001.

1. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I realize this topic has been on many, many times. And I almost hate to ask again.
    I have a Toro 36" WB with two blades.
    Each blade is mounted into a channel that wraps around the blade and is held in place with a "cupped" cover with a slot that also wraps over the blade. A single bolt goes through these.
    I really want to try the double blades to see if the cut can get any better.
    Just how do you add a second blade to a setup like this?
    I just don't like fooling around with these mountings with the speeds the things revolve at unless it is done safely. I just can't see any way to add the second blade.
    Thanks for any info.
    Cleve.

2. Cleve

Male, from Rockmart, GA

I guess nobody has a Toro with double blades.

Or it can't safely be done.

Cleve.

3. Install one 5/8 flat washer between both blades.

4. Cleve

Male, from Rockmart, GA

Thanks for the reply.

I Still didn't think that would work until I tried it.
    Because of the depth of the channel the top blade fits into, I had to use two 5/8 in. ID washers to get the second or bottom blade to clear the channel. I then put the blade cover on the second blade and I believe it tightened up fairly well. Really thought I would have to cut additional slots in this cover to make it fit. But may not have to.

I did notice that this lowers the bottom blade enough that it drops below the cutter deck about 3/8 in. or so. Of course this can be corrected by raising the deck adjustments? I generally cut fairly high but do have 1 more adjustment left on the lifts and hope it will be enough.

I figure I will experiment using a couple of old standard blades before trying a Gator or other mulching type on top.

Does this sound about right? Thanks.
    Cleve.