1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

double blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnInOrder, May 3, 2006.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

ok, so i have a lawn boy gold series mower. I was wondering what the advantage to running two blades is? Is it better for mulching and leave cleanup. I bag all my lawns. Is it safe to run 2 blades? Do you need a longer bolt holding the blades on when running double blades? Thanks LawnInOrder

2. LawnInOrder

comme on guys, i know you know the answers

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely NO reason to double blade a Lawn Boy. Bad idea...

4. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Splicer. No need to double up especially if you just bag with it. I double up just to get more distance and spread during discharge, your bottom blades do 99% of the initial cut. If you do it, keep in mind that this will effect your mowing height.

5. valley boy

valley boy LawnSite Member

I use doubles on my toro recycler , reduces emptying the bag more often account smaller pieces packing better in the bag.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I know some guys who have done it on a variety of mowers. Really chops stuff up fine. Makes it easier for bagging or mulching.

7. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

Our Honda mowers all have factory double blades stacked on top of each other and they are offset about 2" at the tips. I wish I could figure out a way to stack and offset them on our riders... they do a great job. Our Walker 42" mulching deck has stacked blades in a big X pattern and they do good but not as good as the offset Honda's (or the snapper ninja blade which is a single blade with offset cutting edges). I have the pics of the blade setups on our site at: http://acemowing.com/mulching.htm
    They all make a huge difference when mulching... the Honda does seem to dice it finer when bagging as well. You reall notice it when bagging leaves with the Honda HRX mower... it hold 3 times the leaves compared to the single blade baggers.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I used to have a Toro 21" mower (old 3 speed bagger, great mower) that I fitted a Lawn Boy 2 cycle engine onto it... great machine, best of both worlds! The Lawn Boy had the old style large spindle shaft with just a large nut to hold the blade onto it, with a little adapter plate that wedged onto the spindle. I took a Gator and Hi-Lift blade from a 60" rider and welded them together and to the adapter haha... Just one of those blades is a lot of weight for a small Lawn Boy engine, but to run two of them, well it takes a lot of torque! The motor would pull it, and the heavy mower, but it slowed the motor down too much... Where am I going with this? I don't know LOL.... I guess a small 5hp motor may not have the guts to pull doubles.. other than that i've never seen a need to run doubles on a 21".... but then I've never seen a need to use a 21" LOL... that was just a toy somethin to fool around with...

9. LawnInOrder

How many hp is your honda. I think my is a 5 hp honda. Does it damage your eninge running double blades and do i need to use a longer bolt to hold the blades on? LawnInOrder