Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been visited before. I was talking to my dealer about this and he couldn't recommend it and had never heard about it. I'm running a Scag SSZ 52" and a Great Dane Super Surfer. I'm all for better dispersion of clippings. I understand that longer bolts may be required. Where does one find these? Also, when putting the blades on, would I just put them at 90 degrees and the bolt holds them in place. None of the guys up in this area have heard of using double blades. What works best, the gator blades, high lift or just a standard blade?I may start a trend.

·
Registered
394 Posts
dont know about the scagg.but i do have great dane chariot
and your set up is may be like mine .just take one of the
spacers out to make up blade thickness no new bolts(mine
had 3 spacers now it has 2 plus dbl blades. use a wire
wheel to get the paint off of the areas that will be together.this keeps them from moving if you hit some thing.
i have mine like a cross.i love the dbl.blades i run high
lifts on bottem and a gator on top.

hey watatrap i have been at south bend you have gamblen
boats dont you sure has been along time ago

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Watatrp: I run my 52" Scag Hydro with Advantage deck with the double blade set-up and my dealer didn't say anything bad about it, although I'm not sure he had seen it done before. You don't need a longer blade bolt. If you remove one spacer it equals out as the additional blade is almost the sime thickness as the spacer. I ran them all summer and the only thing to watch out for is to ensure you grease the spindles often. Other than that running the double blades is a dream! Also, I run the gator on top with a regular Scag blade on bottom during the growing season, during the fall season with leaves I swap the gator to the bottom. It seems the gator on the bottom mulches the leaves much better. I have yet to run with double gators. Hope this helps.

·
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
4,830 Posts
watatrp:
I also have a page on my website about Double Blades if you want to check that out.

Scraper:
I don't think you will like Double Gators, I tried them and didn't think much of them on grass, but on leaves they are OK.

AWM:
I ran Double Blades on 2 different 20 HP Magnum Kohler powered 60" Choppers with no problems for years. 18 HP should be plenty on a 52", so 20 should make them spin just fine. I ran doubles on a 50" 16 HP JD diesel for a long time too.

I hope this helps
Eric

·
Gravely Manufacturer
249 Posts
By putting another blade on the unit you may void the warranty and be increasing the risk/saftey factor.

The blades, according to ANSI must stop for commercial mowers in 7 seconds. If the test was only performed with 1 blade and the results were right at the 7 second time you will be out of the ANSI specification for safety.

The blade brake clutch is specified with a certain amount of known inertia to the clutch manufacturer's by the Company who built the machine. If the application was "marginal", in order to provide a dollar or two lower price to you, the clutch will possibly be overloaded and fail prematurely.

What to do:
Scream to your dealers that you have to be able to run 2 blades. Ask them to put it in writing that this does not void any warranty and is still a "safe" machine as determined by any industry governing bodies.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course if the mowers are out of warranty this detail doesn't matter. I'm sure most of us have already removed our chutes too. I for one, am not silly enough to put my hands down there while the blades are still spinning. If I can save time and energy by doing this I think that the risk of replacing a few worn out parts is worth it. I do have insurance for the unforseen.

·
4,830 Posts
I know it doesn't void the Dixie Chopper warranty. DC sells a double blade adapter to hold doubles in place now. They also sell a blade that has a hump in the middle so a second blade will fit in that hump under it so all 4 tips cut at the same height.

It does take a bit longer for them to stop, but if you shut the blades off at an idle like you should, it doesn't take long for them to stop.

Eric

·
Gravely Manufacturer
249 Posts
<<They also sell a blade that has a hump in the middle so a second blade will fit in that hump under it so all 4 tips cut at the same height.>>

I like that.

<<but if you shut the blades off at an idle like you should, it doesn't take long for them to stop.
Eric>>

You have said a lot about your care for equipment based on your last statement. Slowing the engine down when turning the pto on/off saves up to 10x the life on the clutch brake.

Kudos to you

Barry

·
Registered
322 Posts
Also with double blades (or single blades, for that matter) it helps increase belt and clutch life by turning on the blades at an idle or fast idle and then rev up the motor.

·
Registered
446 Posts
After taking Eric's advice and trying double blades I must say it does do a better job. I bought the brackets to hold the blades, I have not herd of the blades with a hump in them. I use the factory Dixie Chopper blade on the bottom and use old bladesoff my 52" WB. I have several old one laying around. I could not tell any any difference in blade speed loss. I like use the smaller blade on top because all it does it just help chop up the clippings any way, and weighs alot less than the 60" Dixie blade.

I have a 25 kohler

·
4,830 Posts
Luckylawnboy:
I wasn't that impressed with the blade with the hump in it. When the blades are all at the same height, it didn't seem to chop the clippings as small as when they are at different heights. I have also tried using shorter blades on top, but I feel the gator as a second blade works best on leaves and dry grass. When it's wet, I use a high lift and a regular lift blade combo for more clippings dispersal.

Randy Scott:
I don't think the Exmarks can handle this set up. :)
Just kidding, I'm sure some others will post how they do it, if not, I know there are posts on this in the archives. There are two different searches on my site on blades and one has over 80 posts on one thread.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Randy Scott, I use the double blade set-up on a 48"LZHP and a 60" EPS. They work great. I went to a local fastener shop and bought bolts 1/2 longer than origninals, didn't have to I just thought better to be safe than sorry. I believe they were a grade 5 bolt. If you are not sure about the grade of bolt, just take one of the originals with you and they can help you out.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I had been using Gator blades - am going to give the double blade thing a try come Spring. Using it on 48" and 52" Buntons w/14 hp Kaws - any similar experiences / advice? How about spindle wear. We already seem to have to replace those spindles often enough.

·
420 Posts
I run double blades on my DC. I grease the spindles every 20 - 25 hrs. I've run different combinations of the the doubles, like the gator and regular blade the best. Double gators work pretty good for leaf shredding. Just grease your spindles often even if your not running doubles. And always engage or disengage your blades at a lower rpm. It saves clutches and belts.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Now that the rain is falling again, the grass will grow and I'll be going back to doubles. I mulch everything, so I like either the Exmark mulching blades or Gators (or psuedo-gators in my case), but I also have the standard cutting blades for my 36". A pair that came with 'em and a pair I ordered later. They're the standard blades used for bagging and, I suppose, discharging.

My question is, can the standard blades be used in the double blade setup (along with some mulchers) w/o hurting the mulching properties? If I set the standard blades on top (or even on bottom) with a Gator or mulcher down there, too, will I still get the best mulching cut and be able to save my mulching blades from overuse? It really comes down to either doing that, or letting my two pair of regular-cut blades go to waste.

What's your opinion/experience with this setup?

-TGC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.