Down sizing: Does any landscaper here not offer lawn care?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Erik R, May 16, 2019.

1. Erik R

Erik R LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried limiting or eliminating lawn care or weekly maintenance from their scope of services? It seems to me that it will help reduce cost and boost growth in other more profitable services.

I am considering limiting my scope of services to possibly not include lawn care. This month I've already discontinued services with some clients so that I can get to more jobs like irrigation service, tree service, and landscape installation. I kept my best-paid accounts mostly in the commercial sector so that I can have a certain amount of guaranteed income but discontinued accounts that have little room for profit, don't generate new referrals, etc.

I made a list of my customers and ranked them from "A" "B" "C" D" and "F". "A" customers being those who pay well, pay on time and will bring me new business. "F" customers being those who pay poorly, pay late, no referrals and require a lot of attention such as constant calls emails and so on. Kept just the A-C customers.

Going to give this approach a shot but I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried a similar strategy. Thanks

oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I sold out my mowing business about 2 years ago. I still do lots of landscape work and I'm much happier with it. This has also allowed me a flexible schedule to travel and I'm currently enjoying a few days of R&R in SOCal.

3. OP
    OP
    Erik R

Erik R LawnSite Member

Glad you've had success with it. Might just make the switch

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I started out thinking that what I was doing was good money till I realized what it really cost to do the job right and how it consumed my schedule. The landscaping has better margins and I can schedule around my other work and family obligations.

5. OP
    OP
    Erik R

Erik R LawnSite Member

That's where I am at right now. Too many times ive heard people talk about how the maintenance side of the business is just enough for payroll.

oqueoque likes this.
  6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I'm in the same boat. I feel exactly the same way. I've tried to cut my mowing down to 2 days a week this year, but it keeps getting pushed into 3 due to rain and heavy growth. I hate how mowing controls my schedule. Hopefully more people chime in.

oqueoque and Erik R like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Erik R

Erik R LawnSite Member

I think it's the best way to do it. The more
    I find that profits are sometimes eaten by maintenance. You either paying for equipment repairs, payroll or just higher operational costs.

8. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

If I didn't think I'd lose customers I'd have done it 5 years ago. When I talk to the local fert/weed guys who don't mow, they all say the number one reason they lose customers is because customers want someone who can do both.

oqueoque, Erik R, Cam15 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cjames808

Cjames808 LawnSite Member

I consider it all the time. We already do limited mowing for our snow customers only. If we don’t do your snow sorry we can’t do your lawn. Commercial account only for snow and lawn.

This eased the pressure the last few years. Some are seasonal full service, some are per time full service.

Just ratchet up the prices and give them the rising costs story and stick with it.

10. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dropped mowing two years ago. Dropped apps this year. Just focusing on build/install. It just made sense for us.