Lawn Care Forum banner

Drain tile as tree protectors

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Smallaxe 
#1 ·
Has any one used plastic drain tile for tree protectors? I had a HOA this year that got hit hard with Vole damage over the winter. The lawn came back with a little TLC, but we lost 4 trees. All about 4" to 5" DBH. What I think I want to do is cut up a 100' roll of drain tile into 2' chunks. Slit them down one side so as to get them around the tree. Is Black tile OK? Do I need to worry about the Black holding to much heat from the sun? Is two feet tall enough? Should I use perforated or solid? Any help appreciated. PR

#3 ·
Hey doc, because they are Voles, they are feeding on the crowns of the grass blades under the snow and they chew the bark off of the trees and shrubs. It looks allot like rabbit damage to the trees and shrubs. They girdled 4 trees on this HOA property and they are dieing and need replacement. I believe it is moles that eat worms and grubs. I thought of trying an repellent but as HOA's go, I think they would like to see something physical, or something more guaranteed. Never used this type of protection, and need to know if there is any negatives to using drain tile.

#4 ·
If those drain tiles fit loosely around the tree, I can envision voles crawling underneath for a comfy place to rest and feed... I'm thinking of using 1/4" hardware cloth and possibly some trees spray or even paint... Some one had suggested last Spring that fox urine might work...

#5 ·
What I found is what Smallaxe has suggested. Without using chemical controls, you can wrap garden fencing/hardware cloth around the base of young trees in the winter.

This same stuff can be burried up to a couple of feet deep in the ground to control them.

Also, coyote and fox urine.. and you can add to that if no-one is looking.

#7 ·
... But I have 50 to 60 trees. I wonder how much more of a cost hardware cloth would be. And much more time to cut hardware cloth into the right size compared to plastic tile?
Less time and money than replanting?? Not all shrubs will be in serious danger because of bark taste, location or surrounding environment... that black spray may work and could be experimented with on less suseptible plants...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.