• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Drainage system propopsal

mario491

LawnSite Member
When installing a underground drainage system do any of you mention in your bid that you are not responsible for damage to underground lines and objects that you are unaware of. I do call a line locating service in my area prior to starting a job, but they only mark basic utilities like gas, electric, and phone. Also any other phrases to cover my a??

Thanks
Mario

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
Usually, the locator has the water guys come over and mark the meter, but no guarantees where the feed goes to the house, or how deep. Dog fences can be hit easy, as can fibre optic lines,which can get spendy to repair. Best to check all the possibilities with the client before spudding-in.

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
A good company would have the ability to repair a broken line ( Other then coax cable and general city utilities)

So say what you need to say that you are not responsible.. but you better repair it and price is contingent on damage.. .. Doggy wire, domestic service line, irrigation system, lighting system ect ect.. don't leave them high and dry!

Just like a renovation of a system... Because you didn't install it- your estimate/bid should always account for broken existing lines after you are done.

OP
M

mario491

LawnSite Member
I agree with you on the not leaving them high and dry. I can fix water and cable, but some homeowners have detached garages and other items
that they forget to tell you about. If i worked in possible repairs on every
estimate they couldn' t afford it. We use a excavator for digging so we rarely
hit anything. With economy in such bad shape its hard to add extra charges for what if??

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
You don't need to do extra charges.. Just say it's contingent of the price..

"We use a excavator for digging so we rarely
hit anything."

With the excavator your WAY MORE LIKELY to hit something then hand digging.

GreatOutdoorsContracting

LawnSite Member
Obviously call your local one-call locate service. Then usually something along the wording of owner responsible to locate all private utilities and contractor not responsible for damages to unmarked utilities. But run it past your lawyer. Now if it's something simple to fix like dog fence, irrigation or something else your capable of thats at your discretion to fix it.

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
A shovel in the wrong hand can do just as much damage; I've hit stuff that was "located" with a shovel and a trencher. My excavation contractor, who I consider the best operator in the world (owns his own fleet of Case machinery and knows his hydraulics) has said,
"you are always going to hit something that you had no clue was there." I would trust a good operator before a amateur with a shovel, a great excavator can "feel" when he runs in to something, shovel jockeys have no clue until it's too late.

Last edited:

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
due to insurance a lot of utility locating companies won't paint on private property. used to be that pg&e and sbc in our area would paint to their meter or interface. their locates are contracted out so i'm not current on the new co. policy.

find someone to do your on-site or buy a locator and learn from a pro. most phone and cable services are pretty forgiving but gas, lp, and power can kill or worse and if you hit a fiber line you might as well.........

private locators charge $2-250.00 so that's pretty cheap insurance.

i will locate as standard all on-site utilities plus the wire paths for dog fence and irrigation for about that price, normal lot up to an acre, acre and half.

mitchgo's price should be right about the same, i think :)

OP
M

mario491

LawnSite Member
Mitch all i can say anyone that does drainage by hand shoveling is crazy. You cannot be productive and profitable trenching 200' of pipe by hand, and Mike you are right when you said that with a excavator you can feel most things if you are careful, now with a trencher there is nothing you can do but rip everything out of the ground . EXCAVATORS RULE ON DRAINAGE SYSTEMS!!!

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
now with a trencher there is nothing you can do but rip everything out of the ground . EXCAVATORS RULE ON DRAINAGE SYSTEMS!!!
i have both, the trencher is the reason i got into locating....

i dig in "hot" areas a lot with few problems, you just can't dig like a mad mole on a mission.