1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

drainage

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Land Design, May 24, 2003.

1. Land Design

Land Design LawnSite Member

wondered how you do it...................

i recently removed an area of clay in a yard that was constantly flooding the area was 6x5x12in. deep. laid in 6 in. of 6a stone and 6 in. topsoil and sodded. I watered the dirt during the process for compaction.

Do most of you water during laying the dirt, after the sod, or not at all?:confused:

2. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

I don't water soil or any other material as it is being added. Watering the soil and then "working" it is one sure way to destroy soil structure. I try to work with what the homeowner has already, and when I encounter clay I amend that soil with lots of compost and occasionally greensand.

Ideally, when adding large quantities of soil to an area, its good to wait a few weeks to allow the stuff to naturally, settle. Since most of us don't have that kind of time, we have to speed up the process. I use a roller over the area and also make sure the new area is slightly higher than the surrounding area to allow for future settling.