1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Dremel Tool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Crew Cut Lawncare, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Crew Cut Lawncare

Crew Cut Lawncare LawnSite Member

Do any of you use a dremel tool for sharpening blades? I got one for Christmas and there is a lawn mower sharpener attachment that you can buy separately to be used on the dremel tool. Has anyone tried this sharpener attachment?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I use my dremel for sharpening blades occational.....pretty time consuming though compared to using my lesco blade grinder.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I use mine for sharpening hedge trimmers. If you sharpen your blades more then once a week, I would get a dedicated blade grinder. If thats not in your budget I would get a angle grinder.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I've had a dremel tool for decades and I couldn't imagine using it to sharpen the 3 blades on my lesco on a regular basis.

for dressing the edge on hedge trimmers, perhaps,... chain saw, possibly,... but removing metal on dull, thick steel lesco mower blades...never.

1. I doubt the dremel could do it.
    2. I don't have that much time.
    3. the cost of those little wheels would eat you alive.

now for a homeowner...perhaps a dremel would do OK. jmo.

GEO

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

hey i got one for x mass 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

No it’s too small! But it is a useful tool in the right conditions.

Jeff :waving:

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have had a Dremel for years and could not imagine using it to sharpen blades. Yes, it can be done, but would require a lot of time. I have used it to sharpen roto-tiller blades. It did take a lot of time, but would have taken more time to take the blades off and use the grinder.