1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Drill for timbers and railroad ties

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by rawtoxic, Aug 30, 2011.

1. rawtoxic

rawtoxic LawnSite Member

Hey I want to see what you guys are using to drill ties and timbers.

My old trusted Hitachi Hammer Drill bit the dust yesterday. So I went and bought a Dewalt DW130V which is a spade handle low RPM high torque drill. I think it' a bit slow for drilling timbers (it will torque through anything however) but I think a better corded with higher RPMS would work better.

Anyone care to give some input?

2. cameronderzack

cameronderzack LawnSite Member

Get the dewalt hammer drill that is a 10 amp one. It's nice to have the hammer part if u ever need it for plaster/concrete etc.

Use a wood auger bit too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

we just use the cheapy $100 dewalt corded drill, have been using the same drill for years with out problem.

4. Moneypit

Moneypit LawnSite Member

Am I the only one who uses a sledgehammer? I rarely build timber walls but I have done my share and always used a decent sized sledge (25 lbs I think) to drive the spikes. I never understood why guys like to drill them out first. I can't imagine it would be faster. Maybe I'm missing something???

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I always drilled thru the timbers and 20 lb sledge and hammer 16-20'' 1/2 rebar made wall stronger over Timber spikes
    But stop building timber walls back early 90s Timber walls waste of money doesnt last like a inter locking block wall
    I know ppl still build them I wont bid on jobs that wants them

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

We use Sthil gas powered drills just so we are "portable". We use it for drilling bulbs, flowers ect too

7. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Don't laugh, but the 3/4 inch drill at Harbor Freight works great. It cost about $40.

8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Milwaukee corded hammer drill with a 1/2in chuck. All my power tools, cordless or corded, are Milwaukee tool. Yes one guy drilling with a ship's auger another placing and driving spikes is faster than just smashing them home.

9. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

We don't really do timber walls anymore, but I use a cordless impact and timberloc screws.

10. yankeeyardworks

yankeeyardworks LawnSite Member
    from 04032

we use an echo gas powered drill,,the only way to go