• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Drip irrigation placement question

jrlandscaping781

LawnSite Member
I will be re-doing a partialy landscaped area that currently has no mulch and the drip irrigation lines laid on top of the ground. I'm just adding plants and putting ulch down. Is it recommended to cover the drip lines with mulch or leave it on top? How close do you recommend the lines be located to the plants?

PurpHaze

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm just adding plants and putting ulch down. Is it recommended to cover the drip lines with mulch or leave it on top?
Mulch on top of lines makes the planter beds look a lot better. Some like their emitters visible but alot depends on what type of emitters are being used as to whether they'll be visible.

How close do you recommend the lines be located to the plants?
Depends on the individual plant, its size and root system and the type of emitters you're using.

sheshovel

LawnSite Fanatic
The drip should be covered...all but right where the emitters are, drip line deteriorates fairly quickly if left exposed. What line are you talking about? The large line or the small 1/4 distribution lines? Close enough so the emitters water the plants, and on the uphill not the down hill side, if on a slope.