1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Drip zone problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, May 28, 2007.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Installed a zone for drip, it worked fine for the first year (that I know!!)
    Now, it (valve) won't shut off.

Starts out from manifold - 1" Baccara valve (rated down to .5 gpm)
    runs to drip area, into 25 psi pressure regulator, and into drip line.
    There is only about 18 1gph emitters. (.3 gpm)

I can make the zone shut off by closing the valve regulator off, or opening the end of the drip line.

So, I would like your input if my thinking is right.

I am assuming that valve won't close because there is not enough "usage" and hence pressure differential across valve. So, since I didn't need any more emitters for plants, I installed a VAN head just outside the area, figuring that that will increase the gpm enough for valve to work. NOT
    Gutted the valve, flushed it, still don't work.

I am guessing I need to install a valve that can tolerate a lower flow. Would you agree this with this logic?

Thanks a bunch!

2. jirrigation

jirrigation LawnSite Member

3. londonrain

londonrain LawnSite Silver Member

If the valve has a flow control, try turning the flow control down until the valve will fire and shut down from the controller. I had a similar problem with a irritrol valve and this solved my problem...if that does not work the Rain Bird DV-100 is a great low flow valve.

4. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

had a similiar problem on manual operation using the bleed screw, crank down the flow control and it fixed itself. Timer operation, never had a problem with shut off,but would try the same thing before trying something else.

5. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys!
    I don't know about you, but I've learned an awful lot here, just browsing, & reading all the posts.