Lawn Care Forum banner

Drive 75 performance

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ThreeWide 
#1 ·
I have been treating crabgrass with Drive for the last few weeks. Usually the crabgrass is toast, but sometimes I get little or no control.

Since I know I will get asked, I am using it at the correct rate of .367 oz/1k and using a label approved surfactant.

A close look at the label turned up this phrase which I found odd:

"Biotypes of large and smooth crabgrass in California have shown varied response to Drive 75 DF herbicide. If control failure occurs following the application of a full or split application rates do not reapply Drive 75 DF herbicide, and change to a herbicide with a different mode of action."

Here is the label I found that on, you can find it on page 7 footnote 4.

http://www.lesco.com/Label.aspx?label=063899.pdf

Now I don't know there are any types of crabgrass that are found exclusively in California, but could it be that there are some forms of common crabgrass that Drive won't control well?

Is anyone else getting a "varied response" with Drive?

See less See more
#3 ·
We have used Drive and have had fairly excellent results, but what we have noticed is that in the medium stages of developement, after the 3 tiller stage that sometimes control can be sporadic or not get total kill on the plant. We were also told this by from professors at the OSU field day as well. It seems something physiologically takes place that hampers the crabgrass's ability to absorb the Drive material or possibly its translocation within the plant, earlier stages and adult plants seem to be most suseptable. Its also important that the homeowner hasnt mowed immediatly after the treatment or that rain hasn't hit it either for 24-48 hours.

#4 ·
Just because things happen as mentioned in this thread, I tried something different this past week.

Started a new customer who had a major crabgrass problem in his hybrid Bermuda. It was a decent size lawn, so Drive was too costly alone. I applied MSMA at normal strength along with Drive at 1/2 rate. Since neither product alone would have knocked out all of the crabgrass, I tried this method.

Will find out this week what kind of results we get from that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.