Drive (quinclorac) out of a lt rich

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lazyike, Jul 13, 2018.

1. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

who has applied drive from a lt rich? Did you apply it at the 20+ gal. Of water An acre rate? Did you include mso to the tank, how was the kill? I have about 2 acre property that did not get a preventer this spring and now they have a lot of crabgrass. I have tried quinclorac out of my skid sprayer a couple of times with mixed results. Any suggestions.

2. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Member

Might want to suggest they bite the bullet and wait till next year and get a pre down. In my experience in these situations, it will only kill 60-70 percent of the crab grass and the yard will look like crap while the crab grass that does get hit turns yellow and purple.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

I did it with my Exmark last year at 3k per gallon and labelled amt of MSO (that part did make me nervous) and got slightly better results but not 100% kill.

4. lawndude28

Quinclorac doesn't do as well in July in my experience. I think tenacity works a bit better during that growth stage.

5. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

Ok 14-15 gal per acre. What kind of tip you running fan or air induced tips?

I am thinking that their recommendation of 20 gal per acre is for coverage and not so much about toxicity of the droplet, after all 7 pints an acre is 7 pints an acre no matter if put down in 10 gal or 100 gal. I say 7 pints because I am also toying with the idea of jut hitting it with q4

6. lawndude28

I wouldn't use q4, too many actives and its hard to get consistent coverage with the quinclorac, even at the high rate. If you want to go for it id do xlr8, regular quinclorac or solitaire but solitaire is going to be very pricy.

7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

Fan tips, SS Teejet Turbo Floodjets to be specific.

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I really like drive xlr8, it cost a few bucks but I have always attained outstanding performance with it!

9. John Meitner

John Meitner LawnSite Member

This may be a bit off the subject but rather than begin a new thread I'll ask here of experiences had with Drive.
    This is my first encounter with crabgrass and I'm pretty convinced that Drive is the answer even though there are others with Quinclorac, (I understand that's the ingredient that kills the crabgrass). My headache is trying to determine what stage the crabgrass is in since I'm led to believe that Drive will kill it in the very early stages and or in the very late stages but not when it is in the 'tillering' stage. Any comments about that?
    Also I have concerns about spraying as temperatures get warm. I believe that if the temp. will get to 80 degrees during the day, do not spray, correct?
    I also seem to see plants at various stages of growth. I've killed a patch only to see more emerging. I take it that those are new plants just germinated, correct? That means spraying a second time, correct? Any better way, (other than pre-emerge with fertilizer)?

10. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

the best kill is early and late crabgrass is harder to kill in mid tiller stage. I do belive Quinclorac has pre to it as well you can spray a pre