DriveCam, GPS Tracking, LoJack

tyler_mott85

LawnSite Senior Member
Anybody use electronic monitoring/surveillance equipment on their crews? If so how many crews do you run, what do you run and how has it changed their driving behavior?

My day job installs DriveCam in every company vehicle. Even management's take home vehicles have them. They only record when triggered by centrifugal force so if the driver slams on the brakes, hits a curb, rocks side to side, etc it will record the 12 seconds leading up to the "activating event" and 4 seconds after. Drivers are scored on their events and coached in ways to improve their driving habits. The better drivers at the end of the year receive awards/bonuses, etc. We also have a no cellphone policy and this is the only way they have been able to crack down. Just a random pothole can record you checking a text message.

Just brainstorming how this would transfer over LCO crews.

OP
tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85

LawnSite Senior Member
Not a great Idea for plow trucks.
Yeah. Agreed. There are different settings tho. I work in sanitation and I can go months without it recording anything even with how rough those trucks ride. They're very intellectual. And as long as the driver isn't doing anything wrong while recorded there are no points issued.

Very good point however.