Driveway damage

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
E62B70AD-E295-43F1-9E7B-8F2AC32FC1A7.jpeg 021A40BB-4CF8-4BE7-9AD9-C6AD6BF5961A.jpeg A job we are working on has a new asphalt driveway, I believe about 2-3 weeks old. It is the only access to get to the work space. Anyway, we drove a dump trailer with 2 yards of gravel at a time. No dump trucks or anything.

you can see near the edge, the asphalt basically fell apart and the base completely sunk.

I noticed earlier that the base seems really poorly done and gravel was eroding away, just like it wasn’t really compacted.

we also left an empty dump trailer on it over the weekend and this is a dent it made.

the asphalt is probably a solid 3/4-1” thick but more or less in some spots, I haven’t talked to the home owner yet as he is out of town, but for those who know anything about asphalt construction - is it my responsibility to fix or is it a poorly done driveway?

i have worked on sites where I was told to stay off the new asphalt; but on this one there was already pick up trucks driving on it and nobody mentioned to tread carefully around this driveway, here are a couple pictures

OP
M

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
The owner is a custom builder but this is a carriage home on a rental house of his, he had asked to do everything “as cheap as possible”. The owner was on site the other day and the asphalt company owner pulls up in his $90,000 truck, I heard them talking and all I overheard was “we have done better jobs levelling before”, so I think the owner already noticed some issues with the driveway. I don’t think he knows it’s as thin as 1/2” deep in some spots though and that the base has a consistency like a sand box

Dontbthatguy

LawnSite Member
Man that’s a tough one-

I’m with the other guys in saying I think it looks like a poor asphalt job to start but convincing the customer otherwise is going to be the issue.

I had a similar problem last week. I drove my stump grinder across a leeching field (something Iv done 1000s of times) and when I ran over the 40 year old cap for the tank I cracked it. Everything about their septic was junk but had I just avoided the area there wouldn’t have been a problem.

I ended up talking to the homeowner, owning up what happened, and offering to have the cap replaced and septic inspected. But in talking to him and building a relationship he said he could fix the cap himself.

We settled on taking some $$ off the job for the repair.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
I'd struggle calling that asphalt...more like millings that were compacted.

Assuming that's just the base coat and the finish coat is yet to come. No way I would assume responsibility for that.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
My guess is poor prep work major contributor and was it properly rolled

In general new asphalt can dent or rut from heavy vehicles

I had a customer that was ocd and repaved his driveway every year we weren't allowed to park on it for fear of leaks

Also here people have septic tanks one of my rules is never drive on them especially with a dump truckThumbs Up

Last edited:
OP
M

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
thanks for the advice. I can tell from doing enough paver base, I don't think even a base compacted with even a 200 lb'er sinks that bad.

I had my f350 on the driveway the day before the the home owner was loading it with some wood for us to take away, it weighs pretty much the same as the dump trailer with 2 yards of gravel. I we were too close to the edge though and the base crumbled.