Driveway damage

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
And I say this respectfully to the original poster.

driving any vehicle on the edge of asphalt will cause damage. Even a car. So driving your trailer that close to the edge is an accident waiting to happen. “Property protection”

The first photo, I can’t tell what it is, it’s a small imprint, is that from the trailer jack ?

2 yards of gravel weights 7,000 lbs plus the weight of the trailer. So 10,000 on a driveway that normally has a 5,000 car on it.

OP
M

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
And I say this respectfully to the original poster.

driving any vehicle on the edge of asphalt will cause damage. Even a car. So driving your trailer that close to the edge is an accident waiting to happen. “Property protection”

The first photo, I can’t tell what it is, it’s a small imprint, is that from the trailer jack ?

2 yards of gravel weights 7,000 lbs plus the weight of the trailer. So 10,000 on a driveway that normally has a 5,000 car on it.
The load was 4500 lbs, it was weighed. Nobody has driven on the driveway, my truck which weights over 7000 lbs was the first truck to go on it and the homeowner told me where to park to load up some construction debris, same spot where we had the trailer. There was no other access for the job, he knew that and was find to let us drive on it.

The first photo is the imprint from the jack. I've never heard of damaging a good asphalt driveway from parking near the edge, but good to know how fragile asphalt is.

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
The load was 4500 lbs, it was weighed. Nobody has driven on the driveway, my truck which weights over 7000 lbs was the first truck to go on it and the homeowner told me where to park to load up some construction debris, same spot where we had the trailer. There was no other access for the job, he knew that and was find to let us drive on it.

The first photo is the imprint from the jack. I've never heard of damaging a good asphalt driveway from parking near the edge, but good to know how fragile asphalt is.

To give you a concept on asphalt on a hot day. My motor cycle side stand , will leave an imprint on a hot day on fresh asphalt. It probably has a 3 sq inch area, and if I had to guess has around 150-200 lbs of weight on it.

regarding the edge, it’s the reason why most newer roads leave 6-8” from the edge before painting the white lane strip. Then most of the time they will also grade stone to the top edge of the Asphalt as well.

One good thing you do have going, if the client told you and specifically said “park here”. Then that’s good enough for me to deny any damage claim. You followed customer directions

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
It’s not that uncommon to leave impressions driving over the edge of asphalt especially when it’s built up higher than the surrounding grade but with no more weight than that was the asphalt shouldn’t be breaking off.

OP
M

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
I sent him pictures with the patch and just a little note that the base was soft/asphalt thin. Doesn't seem like there will be any issues with the remaining balance.

The reason he had me park on the driveway was, a junk hauling company came and quoted him $750 to remove a few garbage bags and couple hundred lbs of construction wood waste. We did it for him in just over an hour and saved him $500, so I think that may have helped.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
I sent him pictures with the patch and just a little note that the base was soft/asphalt thin. Doesn't seem like there will be any issues with the remaining balance.

The reason he had me park on the driveway was, a junk hauling company came and quoted him $750 to remove a few garbage bags and couple hundred lbs of construction wood waste. We did it for him in just over an hour and saved him $500, so I think that may have helped.
Lowballer...lol.