Driveway sealer machine quitting??

Phil1010

LawnSite Member
Hi guys having a headache right now trying to understand my asphalt sprayer. Have owned it 5 years and never an issue. It’s a marathon brand. Once I fire up the Honda motor let it warm up and go to open the ball valve ( allows material to be sucked from tank through the pump and back into the tank until I use the wand) the motor revs high like it under stress to keep the pump rotating and eventually it dies. I took the face plate off the pump and the fresh material is getting to it as it poured out into a container nice and liquidity (black Mac) and also opened up and drained the filter just after the valve so I’m not sure why or where my problem is occurring?

Attachments

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
You need to determine if the engine has a problem or the pump. First, does it have fresh fuel? Was it stored over the winter with untreated fuel? How difficult would it be to separate the engine to pump coupler? If you can, run the engine without the load of the pump and see how it runs. If the engine runs okay, try turning the pump by hand to see if it‘s bound up? Hope this helps, good luck.

OP
P

Phil1010

LawnSite Member
Thanks Joe, it would be a pain to seperate them. I winterized it on a semi heated shop over winter with fuel stabilizer. I think it’s on the motor side as the pump front cover plate that I took off has fresh sealer so it’s pumping to at least there

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
About the only other thing I can think of to try is try using the spray wand to recirculate the sealer back into the storage tank. I can not tell by the picture if the unit has an unloader valve in the piping. If it does have a valve that isn’t working, the pump might be deadheading ( no flow through the pump) which then stalls the motor.